Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of friction for rolling wheels

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    I have fairly basic questions.

How do wheels roll on a surface ? As in what should be the ideal Coefficient of Friction between the wheel surface and the ground, for conditions like "no-slips"

What I understand is if there is no friction between the wheels and the ground , the wheels would keep spinning with slips ( wheel won't have forward motion , will have pure rotational motion )
    On the other hand if there is significant friction between the wheels and the ground , there will be power losses due to friction ie the frictional forces would try to retard a wheels rolling motion .

So how do you transmit max power to wheels , without the wheels spinning and without having too much friction losses , what should be the optimum Coefficient of Friction?

Guys Please correct me if my concepts/understanding is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi RKD89! :smile:
    for motion in a straight line, the lower the coefficient of friction, the lower the acceleration (or deceleration) that will be possible before slipping

friction itself does not cause any loss of energy

the energy loss is caused by "rolling resistance", which is basically the deformation of the wheel and the road

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks

Everything makes sense if you assume contact between Wheel and ground to be a point ( 2D)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook