Coefficient of Friction of Fixed Atwood Pulley

In summary: In that case, you would either need to add more mass to the system to make it stable or find a way to increase the friction.
DrewCrew

Homework Statement

Hi, I was wondering how you would isolate for and calculate the coefficient of friction in an Atwood pulley, with one fixed pulley, with two masses hanging off of it on either side. There is no table or surface that the masses are touching or resting on, they are both free-hanging on either side of the pulley. There is no person applying a force to it, the pulley is free-standing. No values are given, I am just trying to make a general equation for the coefficient of friction. A general diagram of the situation is:
Atwood%20Problem%20Setup1%20FBD.png

Homework Equations

I know that, for m1, Fnet = Force of tension - Force of Gravity - Force of Friction, if it were to set "up" as the positive direction
And for m2, Fnet = Force of Gravity - Force of tension - force of friction
Force of friction = μ X Force normal
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong for any of these equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet1 = Ft - Fg - μFn
m1a = Ft - mg - μFn
In this case, would Fn be equivalent to Fg?
m1a = Ft - mg - μmg
μmg = Ft - mg - m1a
μ = (Ft - mg - m1a) / mg

I am attempting this entirely off of assumptions, as I am not aware of the actual friction forces or formulas on the pulley. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What friction are you considering?
Most problems involving pulleys tell you to assume the pulley is massless and "is frictionless". By that, they mean it has no frictional torque from its axle. Generally you should assume there is enough friction between the pulley and rope that the rope does not slip on the pulley, but if the pulley is massless then even the tiniest static friction will achieve that, so there is no way to determine what the coefficient is.

It gets a bit more interesting if the pulley has mass, and hence a moment of inertia. In every such problem I have ever seen posed, you are still to assume the rope does not slip on the pulley. If the pulley is to accelerate then there has to be enough friction to ensure there is no slippage, so you could calculate a minimum value for the static friction coefficient.

A problem could consider the case where the pulley has mass and the static friction is not enough to prevent slipping, but I have never seen that done.

1. What is the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley?

The coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley is a measure of the amount of friction present between the pulley and the rope or cable that passes over it. It is represented by the symbol μ and is typically a decimal number between 0 and 1.

2. How is the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley calculated?

The coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be determined by measuring the tension in the rope or cable, while the normal force is the force exerted by the pulley on the rope or cable.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley?

The coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used for the pulley and the rope or cable, the surface finish of the pulley, the tension in the rope or cable, and the angle at which the rope or cable passes over the pulley.

4. How does the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley affect its efficiency?

The coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley plays a significant role in its efficiency. A higher coefficient of friction means that more energy is lost to friction, resulting in a lower efficiency. This is why pulleys with lower coefficients of friction are preferred for applications where efficiency is important, such as in lifting heavy loads.

5. Can the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction of a fixed Atwood pulley can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, using a different type of material for the pulley or the rope, or changing the surface finish of the pulley, can result in a different coefficient of friction. Additionally, lubricating the pulley and rope can also reduce the coefficient of friction.