1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley problem with 2 masses and an incline

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. A mass on a flat surface is pulled with an angled force of 200N (as shown) and is connected by a massless rope/pulley to another mass below on an incline. Find the acceleration and Tension in the rope.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = ma
    Fg = mg
    Ff = Mu x Fn

3. The attempt at a solution
    Had a question like this except with different masses/angles on a quiz and wanna make sure I did it right.

Would the equation for M1 be Fnet = Fappx - Ft - Ff

And for M2:
    Fnet = Ft - Ff - Fgx

And then you turn Fnet into ma, combine the two equations to make Ft cancel out, then solve for a since acceleration is the same for both masses in a pulley system?

Here's a pic of the problem: (won't let me upload from my phone)

http://m.imgur.com/1nYJKh4

Mentor's Note: Here's a visible version:
    Fig1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2
    Yes. This looks right.

4. Oct 3, 2015 #3
    Great! And for the normal force on M1 (to figure out friction), would it be M1g - 200sintheta ?

5. Oct 3, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. But you have not said what you mean by Fgx and Ff for M2.

6. Oct 3, 2015 #5
    Oh, I meant Fgx is the x component of the force of gravity so (mgsin30) and Ff is = Fn which is equal to the y component of Fg so Ff = (0.2 x mgcos30)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted