Coefficient of kinetic friction between each block

In summary, we are given a horizontal surface with two blocks connected by a cord. A force of 150N is pulling on the 15kg block. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the ground is 0.2. Using the given information, the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks can be found by calculating the acceleration of the system and then solving for T. The final equation is T = (0.2)(25kg)(9.8m/s^2) + (25kg)(1.79m/s^2) = 49N + 44.75N = 93.75N. Therefore, the tension in the cord is 93.75N.
xstetsonx
Two blocks are connected by a cord on a horizontal surface. A force F pulls on the 15-kg block as shown in the figure. Find the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks to each other if the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the ground is 0.2.
----------T=?-------
25KG box-------15kg box-------->F=150Nmy work:
(150N)-(0.2)((25kg)(9.8m/s^2)+(15kg)(9.8m/s^2))/(25kg+15kg)=acceleration(A)=1.79m/s^2

T-(0.2)(25kg)(9.8m/s^2)=(25kg)(1.79m/s^2)=T

correct me if i am wrong or tell me if i am right since no one has say anything yet

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

xstetsonx said:
my work:
(150N)-(0.2)((25kg)(9.8m/s^2)+(15kg)(9.8m/s^2))/(25kg+15kg)=acceleration(A)=1.79m/s^2
Good.

T-(0.2)(25kg)(9.8m/s^2)=(25kg)(1.79m/s^2)[STRIKE]=T[/STRIKE]
Good. (Except for that last little bit.) Now just finish the job and solve for T.

thanks my practice test doesn't have answer key so i just want to make sure

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol "μk" and is a unitless number.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μk = Fk/Fn, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and Fn is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It also depends on the normal force and the velocity of the moving surface.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces at rest. Generally, the coefficient of kinetic friction is lower than the coefficient of static friction for the same surfaces.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of objects?

The coefficient of kinetic friction plays a crucial role in determining the motion of objects. It determines the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion at a constant velocity. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is high, more force will be required to keep the object in motion. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction will result in less force needed to maintain the object's motion.