1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Kinetic Friction, Normal Force.

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A box initially moving at 3.00m/s on a rough, level floor comes to a stop after sliding 6.00m. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor."

2. Relevant equations
    Fk=[tex]\mu[/tex]kFN
    V2-V02 / 2x = a

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I did was write down all of the known variables:
    x = 6.00m
    V0x = 3.00m/s (initial)
    Vx = 0m/s (final)

The next thing I did was draw a free body diagram, showing the weight (mg) pointing down, the fk pointing to the left (in the negative x direction), and Normal force (N) pointing up.

I found the acceleration by plugging given values into the second relevant equation:
    02 - (3.00m/s)2 / 2 (6.00m) = -0.75m/s2

Then I found [tex]\mu[/tex]k by dividing the found acceleration (-0.75m/s2) by g (-9.8m/22) to come up with 0.0765 for [tex]\mu[/tex]k.

According to the solutions page, the answers are correct, but I have no idea why.
    Why does a/g = [tex]\mu[/tex]k?

Also, if you are not given the mass of an object, how can you find the normal force of the object if N=mg?

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Laura.
    Your answer looks good to me. I got .0765 but I used g=9.81.
    The equation of motion is Ff = umg = ma so dividing by m gives you
    u = a/g. Yes, you can't find the normal force mg but you can still do the problem! Think of it as finding the normal force per kg of mass - you are just doing each kg separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook