Calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction

In summary, the problem asks for the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 10 kg box and a hill with a 10° incline, given that the box is sliding down the hill at a constant velocity. The formula used to calculate this coefficient is μk = ƒk / Fn, where ƒk is the kinetic frictional force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and Fn is the normal force. To find Fn, a free-body diagram is drawn and the equation ∑Fy = Fn + mg cos 10° = 0 is used, resulting in Fn = (10 kg) (9.80 m/s^2) cos 10° = 96.5 N. The
physlexic

Homework Statement

Problem:
A 10 kg box slides down a hill and has a constant velocity. The angle of the hill is 10° with respect to the horizontal. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface of the hill and the box?

Homework Equations

Fn = mg + ma
ƒk = μk * Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction I used the formula ƒk = μk Fn and isolated μk to be
μk = ƒk / Fn
Where ƒk is kinetic frictional force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and Fn is the normal force.

I don't have any of these variables, so I drew a free-body diagram and tried to find my normal force by doing:
∑Fy = Fn + mg cos 10° = 0
Fn = mg cos 10°
Fn = (10 kg) (9.80 m/s^2) cos 10° = 96.5 NMy problem is I am not sure on how to determine my kinetic fricitonal force ƒk to plug it into the
μk = ƒk / Fn. Someone please guide me? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What you can say is that the friction force must exactly balance the opposing force due to that body's weight.

Q: why can you say this?

Newton's third law that states for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction ?

Therefore does fk = Fn? I'm sorry if this isn't correct, I struggle a lot with this course...

physlexic said:
Therefore does fk = Fn?
No, those two forces are not in the same direction. fk opposes a force acting in the exact opposite direction to fk. If fk were not exactly cancelling its opposing force, then the body would be accelerating or decelerating, but we are told it is sliding with a fixed speed.

You draw the diagram and show how the body's weight can be broken into orthogonal components, one along the slope, and the other normal to the slope.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a numerical value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol μk.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force. The formula is μk = Fk/FN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and FN is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together. It also varies with the temperature and humidity of the environment.

What are some real-world applications of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many industries, such as transportation, manufacturing, and sports. It is used to calculate the stopping distance of vehicles, determine the force needed to move objects on different surfaces, and improve the performance of athletic equipment.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction represents the friction between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction represents the friction between two surfaces at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction for the same materials.