1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find force and coefficient of friction between 2 stacked blocks in motion

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Untitled2.png
    The surfaces of two blocks are roughened so that they do not slide against each other when a force of 30N is applied to the bottom block. 1.Find the force of friction between the two blocks. 2. Find the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the two blocks so that the top block does not move.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = ma
    muK = Fk/Fn
    mu s = Fs,max/Fn
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the acceleration of the two block system, which is 2 m/s². I'm wondering if you have to find the Fn of the 5kg block then act as if it was moving 2m/s² by itself over the 10kg block then determine Fk from that and plug it into muK = Fk/Fn. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2
    Or, do you have to find the accelerations of the blocks separately at first?

4. Oct 3, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Finding the acceleration of the system was the right first step. (I assume there's no friction between the lower block and the ground.) I'm not sure what you are suggesting as the next step. Why not apply it and post the working that results? That will be a lot clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted