Coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)n in A.P, find n

In summary: The coefficients for the powers of 10, 9, 8 in post #4 form an arithmetic sequence, so the 14 must have been correct.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have question which states the coefficients of x^8,x^9 and x^10 in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n are in an arithmetic progression. Find the possible values of n.
I think that I have been able to find a couple of similar examples but I am unable to follow their working to arrive at a solution. I become rather confused after n! is cancelled in the numerator. I have provided links to these problems. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could expand upon their working
Relevant Equations
(1+x)^n
https://www.toppr.com/ask/question/if-in-the-expansion-of-1-xn-the-coefficient-of-14th-15th-and-16th/
https://www.sarthaks.com/402983/if-...14-th-15-th-and-16-th-terms-are-in-a-p-find-n

Specifically regarding my problem the coefficients of x^8, x^9 and x^10 would be nC8,nC9,nC10.
Since they are in A.P this implies; 2 nC9=nC8+nC10
Thus, 2 n!/(n-9!)9! =n!/(n-8!)8!+n!/(n-10!)10!
Cancelling n!
2/(n-9!)9! =1/(n-8!)8!+1/(n-10!)10!

I think I need to multiply through by term(s) from the denominator but I do not know whether this is correct so far, or really how to advance any further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

First we have to fix two errors: it is not

2 n!/(n-9!) 9! = n!/(n-8!) 8! + n!/(n-10!) 10!​
as you write, but
2 n!/((n-9)! 9!) = n!/((n-8)! 8!) + n!/((n-10)! 10!)​

AN630078 said:
rather confused after n! is canceled in the numerator.
So I suppose cancelling n! is still clear, right ? As you type, your exercise is at
$${2\over (n-9)!\,9!} ={1\over (n-8)!\,8!}+{1\over (n-10)!\,10!}\ .$$One common factor in the denominator is 8! so this simplifies to $${2\over (n-9!)\,9} ={1\over (n-8!)}+{1\over (n-10!)\,10\; 9}\ .$$Another common factor is (n-10)! so we can write $$
{2\over (n-9)\, 9} ={1\over (n-8)(n-9)}+{1\over 10\;9}$$and now you are well under way to he final quadratic equation.

Likes AN630078
Workings.png

BvU said:
Hi,

First we have to fix two errors: it is not

2 n!/(n-9!) 9! = n!/(n-8!) 8! + n!/(n-10!) 10!​
as you write, but
2 n!/((n-9)! 9!) = n!/((n-8)! 8!) + n!/((n-10)! 10!)​
So I suppose cancelling n! is still clear, right ? As you type, your exercise is at
$${2\over (n-9)!\,9!} ={1\over (n-8)!\,8!}+{1\over (n-10)!\,10!}\ .$$One common factor in the denominator is 8! so this simplifies to $${2\over (n-9!)\,9} ={1\over (n-8!)}+{1\over (n-10!)\,10\; 9}\ .$$Another common factor is (n-10)! so we can write $$
{2\over (n-9)\, 9} ={1\over (n-8)(n-9)}+{1\over 10\;9}$$and now you are well under way to he final quadratic equation.
Thank you very much for your reply. Oh I am sorry thank you for amending my mistake.
Right, I greatly appreciate your help however I am still a bit confused. How did you identify 8! and (n-10)! as common factors?

Would the next step be to find the LCM of the denominators which would be 90(n-8)(n-9). Therefore, multiplying both sides by the LCM:
(I have attached my workings as I do not know how to write in LaTeX here and my workings look far too incomprehensible otherwise). I think I have arrived at a solution but I am not sure if this would be correct?

Thank you so much for your help 😊

Likes BvU
AN630078 said:
I think I have arrived at a solution but I am not sure if this would be correct?
Well, you could generate a Pascal triangle in the language of your choice ... :cool: and look at rows 14 and 23 ...

1614795948904.png

##\ ##

Likes AN630078
AN630078 said:
How did you identify 8! and (n-10)! as common factors?
9! = 8! * 9​
10! = 8! * 9 * 10​
(n-9)! = (n-10)! * (n-9)​
(n-8)! = (n-10)! * (n-9) * (n-8)​
##\ ##​

Likes AN630078
BvU said:
9! = 8! * 9​
10! = 8! * 9 * 10​
(n-9)! = (n-10)! * (n-9)​
(n-8)! = (n-10)! * (n-9) * (n-8)​
##\ ##​
Thank you for your reply. Oh I see how silly of me, thank you for explaining how to find the common factors. Do you think that my solutions would be correct?
Thank you for the suggestion to generate a Pascal triangle, how would this help here though? 😁

AN630078 said:
how would this help
The coefficients for the powers of 10, 9, 8 in post #4 form an arithmetic sequence, so the 14 must have been correct :cool:

##\ ##

1. What is the formula for finding the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P?

The formula for finding the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P is nCr, where n is the power of the binomial and r is the term number in the expansion.

2. How do you determine the value of n in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P?

The value of n can be determined by counting the number of terms in the expansion, which is equal to the power of the binomial plus one.

3. Can the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P be negative?

No, the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P are always positive.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P and Pascal's Triangle?

The coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P are the same as the numbers in the nth row of Pascal's Triangle.

5. How do you use the coefficients in the expansion of (1+x)^n in A.P to find the value of the binomial expression for a specific value of x?

To find the value of the binomial expression for a specific value of x, you can plug in the value of x into the expression and then multiply it by the corresponding coefficient in the expansion.