Solving for nC8,nC9, and nC10 in an Arithmetic Progression

In summary: This method can be used to simplify the fractions involved in the expressions for nC8, nC9, and nC10. This could potentially help in finding a solution.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have a question concerning finding the coefficients of x^8,x^9 and x^10 in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n if they are in an arithmetic progression. Find the possible values of n.
Relevant Equations
(1+x)^n=1+nx+n(n-1)/2!x^2+...
Well, I am having a little difficulty knowing how to approach finding a solution to this problem. I am aware that in an arithmetic progression the first term is a and there is a constant common difference defined as d=un+1-un

Expanding the binomial given;

(1+x)^n=1+nx+n(n-1)/2!x^2+n(n-1)(n-2)/3!x^3+...n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)/8!x^8+n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)(n-8)/9!x^9+n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)(n-8)(n-9)/10!x^10

Therefore, the coefficients ofx^8,x^9 and x^10 are n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)/8!,n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)(n-8)/9! andn(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)(n-6)(n-7)(n-8)(n-9)/10! respectively.

Does this imply that nC8,nC9 and nC10 are in an A.P. So that 2nC9=nC8+nC10

Thus, 2=nC8/nC9+nC10/nC9

I do not know whether this is a suitable start to finding a solution or necessarily how to progress any further. I would be very grateful for any suggestions. 👍

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](1+x)^n=(1+x)(1+x)(1+x)...(1+x)[/tex]
In order to know coefficient of ##x^m## of m<n in expansion, consider the number of ways you choose m brackets from which you pick up x not 1 for multiplication among all the n brackets.

Last edited:
AN630078 said:
Does this imply that nC8,nC9 and nC10 are in an A.P. So that 2nC9=nC8+nC10

Yes

Thus, 2=nC8/nC9+nC10/nC9

I do not know whether this is a suitable start to finding a solution or necessarily how to progress any further. I would be very grateful for any suggestions. 👍

Write expressions of the form "nCr" as n!/((n−r)!r!). This allows the fractions involved to be simplified.

For example ( n!/ ((n−r)!r!) / (n!/((n−(r−1)!(r−1)!) =((n−(r−1))!(r−1)!)/ ((n−r)!r!)

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting the forum's LaTex to work.

I'll try again:

For example:

##\frac{\frac{n!}{(n-(r+1))!(r+1)!} }{\frac{n!}{(n-r)! r!} } ##

## = \frac{(n-r)!}{(n-(r+1))!} \frac{r!}{(r+1)!)}##

## = (n-r) \frac{1}{(r+1)} ##

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This difference is called the common difference, denoted by d.

2. How do you solve for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression?

To solve for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression, you can use the formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression: nth term = a + (n - 1)d, where a is the first term and d is the common difference. Plug in the values for n and d to find the values of nC8, nC9, and nC10.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression?

Sure, let's say we have an arithmetic progression with a first term of 5 and a common difference of 3. To find nC8, nC9, and nC10, we can use the formula: nth term = 5 + (n - 1)3. Plugging in n = 8, 9, and 10, we get nC8 = 23, nC9 = 26, and nC10 = 29.

4. What is the importance of solving for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression?

Solving for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression can help us find the values of terms in the sequence that may not be explicitly given. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as predicting future values or analyzing patterns.

5. Are there any other methods for solving for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the sum of an arithmetic series formula or using algebraic manipulation to find the common difference and then finding the desired terms. However, using the formula for the nth term is the most straightforward and efficient method for solving for nC8, nC9, and nC10 in an arithmetic progression.