1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficients of capacitance with spherical shell problem

1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Metal sphere of radius R1 is surrounded by a concentric metal shell of inner radius R2 and outer radius R3. The dielectric is air. Calculate coefficients of capacitance for the given setup.

2. Relevant equations

Picture of the problem:

14j82hl.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried arriving to the solution by using coefficients of potential. I have done the following:

[itex]\varphi_{1}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{1}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}
    \\\varphi_{2}=Q_{1}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}+Q_{2}/4\pi\epsilon_{0}R_{3}[/itex]

But it looks errorneous to me. Can anybody clarify the matter for me?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pls define these variables.
    Bear in mind that the charge on the shell will consist of a distribution on its inner surface and another on its outer surface.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    Can you give me a hint about how it will look?

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There will be a uniform spherical charge distribution at each of the three radii. I would take there to be equal and opposite charges on the central sphere and the enclosing shell, so the total charge is zero.
    Can you develop the equations to determine how the charge is split between R2 and R3?

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5
    I have succeeded. I'll put the solution here tomorrow. I'm in a bit of an exam hurry right now. Thx for the hint :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted