1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffee cup, bomb calorimeter: Open, closed, or isolated?

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    Is a coffee cup usually considered to be a closed system? Why or why not? Does it matter that steam or hot coffee may be evaporating? (I think the steam is usually considered to be an insignificant amount of matter, allowing classification to be a closed system, but am unsure.)

Is a bomb calorimeter an isolated system? Why or why not? Is the water inside of a bomb calorimeter generally considered to be part of the "surroundings?" (I think not, just checking.)

(I tried looking this up online and cannot find any definitive answer or actual examples that were adequately helpful.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This has the sound of homework: state the definitions/properties of open, closed, and isolated systems; apply those definitions/properties to the systems you've described.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a very common pre-lab quiz question intended to determine whether you know the definitions of open, closed, and isolated systems.

If you don't know the definitions/properties/differences of open, close, and isolated systems, this turns into an endless game of "Well if that's "blank," then what's this?"

State them, apply them to each, and I'll be more than happy to tell you whether you've done so correctly, or explain to you where you've done so incorrectly, and what is incorrect.

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a coffee cup is a closed system, how are you supposed to drink the coffee? You don't need to go online to find the answer to this question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted