CSTR vs. BSTR system open or closed

In the case of a CSTR, there is flow passing in and out, making it an open system. However, a BSTR does not have any flow, making it a closed system. While a beaker with a chemical reaction can be considered a BSTR, it is not considered an open system because it is not connected to any external flow. The usage of closed/open system for tank reactors is the same as the usual meaning, where a closed system has no interaction with the environment and an open system does.
member 392791
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
Hello,

I was wondering, is it the case that a CSTR is an open system because there is flow passing in and out of the tank, thus passing the control volume, so it's open.

Similarly for a BSTR, the fact that there is no flow means that it is closed? I mean in that sense, a beaker with a chemical reaction going inside of it is a BSTR right? Isn't that open to the environment, so why is it not considered an open system?

Is the way that closed/open system is used for the tank reactors the same meaning as for the usual meaning of a closed or open system (i.e. nothing interacts with the system from the environment?)
A closed system is one in which no mass enters or leaves.
An open system is one in which mass enters and/or leaves.

1. What is the difference between a CSTR and BSTR system?

A CSTR (continuous stirred tank reactor) system is an open system where reactants are continuously fed into a tank and products are continuously removed, while a BSTR (batch stirred tank reactor) system is a closed system where reactants are added to a tank, allowed to react, and then products are removed all at once.

2. Which type of system is more commonly used in industrial processes?

CSTR systems are more commonly used in industrial processes because they allow for a more continuous and controlled reaction compared to BSTR systems.

3. What are the advantages of using a CSTR system?

CSTR systems allow for better control of reaction conditions, higher conversion rates, and more efficient use of reactants compared to BSTR systems.

4. In what situations would a BSTR system be preferable?

BSTR systems are often used for reactions that require precise control of reaction time and temperature, or for reactions that produce sensitive or unstable products.

5. Can a CSTR system be operated as a closed system?

No, a CSTR system is designed to be an open system where reactants and products are continuously flowing. This allows for better control and higher conversion rates. However, a BSTR system can be converted into a semi-continuous system by continuously feeding reactants and removing products at a fixed interval.