Cofused with this Momentum problem

• Thread starter teken894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, in a combustion engine, gas is burned to produce an explosion that drives the pistons. The force of the explosion on the piston is due to the change in momentum of the gas molecules. When a 0.4-g sample of gas produces a force of 2400 N in an explosion lasting 10e-3 seconds, the speed of the gas molecules must be 3 x 10e3 m/s, calculated using the formula ft = mv. This is because the change in momentum of the molecules is double the final momentum, which is the negative of the change in momentum of the piston.
teken894
19. Incorrect In a combustion engine, gas is burned. The resulting explosion produces a force that drives the pistons in the engine. The force of the explosion on the piston is due to the change in momentum of the gas molecules. A 0.4-g sample of gas produces a force of 2400 N in an explosion that lasts 10e-3 seconds. What must be the speed of the gas molecules?

My answer: 6 x 10e3 m/s
The correct answer: 3 x 10e3 m/s

I used the impluse force = change in momentum forumla

ft = mv

2400(10e-3) = .0004(x)
and solved to get 6e3 m/s

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
the molecules don't stick to the piston, they bounce off.
so the change of momentum is ( p_f - p_i ) double the final momentum.

Err...

I get that...but how is the answer 3e3 m/s ?

could you put some numbers into the explanation, because conceptually I'm not getting why the change the velocity is 3e3??

suppose the molecule is above the piston, calling upward as positive.
v_i is negative "v" , but v_f is positive "v".
The change of momentum is m times 2"v".

The change of momentum of the molecules is the negative of
the change of momentum of the piston (I expect you DID get this).

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes an object's motion. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a measure of how difficult it is to stop the object's motion.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kilograms) by its velocity (in meters per second). The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How does momentum differ from velocity?

Momentum and velocity are related, but different concepts. Velocity describes the speed and direction of an object's motion, while momentum describes the quantity of motion that an object possesses.

4. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

5. How is momentum used in real life?

Momentum has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in sports to analyze the movement of athletes and objects such as balls or equipment. It is also important in transportation, as the momentum of a vehicle can affect its stopping distance. In physics, momentum is used to understand the behavior of objects in motion and to predict the outcomes of collisions or interactions.