Coherence length of a single photon

In summary, there is some theoretical evidence that photons may have attached to themselves a coherence length. However, this length is usually short, and depends on the state of the photons. There is some experimental research into this, but it is currently unknown if there is a real coherence length for photons produced by spontaneous emission.
DaTario
Hi All,

Is there any experimental evidence that photons may have attached to itself a coherence length?

Best Regards,

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a meaningful definition for such a thing? Something in peer-reviewed publications?
To find an answer the question has to be clear.

Theoretically, I would say that due to the number-phase uncertainty relation,
[itex]\sigma_{N}\sigma_{\phi}\geq\frac{1}{2}[/itex],
a true single-photon (Fock) state would have to have a very small (though nonzero) coherence length. Indeed, its phase uncertainty would be maximal, since its photon number uncertainty would be zero.

As one example of experimental research into the coherence properties of single photon states, see:
"Heralded single Photon Partial Coherence"
Phys. Rev. A 82, 023801 (2010).

Last edited:
Dear mfb, let me try a sound definition for the coherence length of a single photon.

First, I would say that this coherence length would be a property of an identically prepared ensemble of photons (say photons of an specific atomic transition in a cold atom sample).
Consider a double slit experiment with a very weak beam of photons arriving at the slits plane. So weak that we may count on the fact that there is basically one photon crossing the slits plane at a time.
Now consider the interference pattern generated by this beam after the arrival of several photons to the ecran. This pattern has a transverse extension, which may be related to the number of fringes that show up clearly. The first position to where we can point and say that no interference is happening there defines a path difference from the slits for which no interference appears, revealing what I am trying to think of as a coherence length of this ensemble of identically prepared photons. Thus, coherence length of a photon = smallest path difference for which no interference are observed to occur.
It has an statiscal nature, but it seems that it is a property of each one of the photons emited.

I am trying, as I said before, to build a definition. Does anyone have some further information about it?

by the way, jfizzix, thank you for the reference.

Best Regards,

DaTario

So there's one more bit of information to consider. The first order coherence function [itex]g^{(1)}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2,t_1,t_2)[/itex], is a function that tells you the averaged degree of correlation between the electromagnetic field at one point in space (or time), and another point.

This coherence function is equal to unity, when the two points are on top of each other, and usually goes towards zero, as the two points you're comparing are farther away. A coherence length could be defined as the distance between two points where the coherence function falls below 1/2, 1/e, or some other value.

The coherence function also depends on the quantum state of the electromagnetic field (whether it's attenuated laser light, thermal light, or a true single photon Fock state), since it's that which generates the statistics you measure.

Very well expressed, in my opinion, jfizzix. I recognize the subtleties of your argument (the smoothness of the decay of the g function and its dependence on the state of the photons).

So, as you said, the coherence length may depend on which ensemble we are choosing to investigate. I would like to focus specifically on the case of our investigating photons produced by spontaneous emission of a cold atoms ensemble (I guess this is the case treated in Weisskopf-Wigner theory for spontaneous emission).

It seems to correspond to a realistic state preparation. Is there any experimental determination of the coherence length of such photons?

Best wishes,

DaTario

What is the coherence length of a single photon?

The coherence length of a single photon refers to the distance over which the photon maintains its coherence, or the ability to interfere with itself. It is a measure of how well-defined the photon's properties are and is related to the photon's wavelength.

Why is the coherence length of a single photon important?

The coherence length is important because it determines how far a single photon can travel without losing its coherence. This has implications for various applications such as quantum communication and imaging.

How is the coherence length of a single photon measured?

The coherence length of a single photon can be measured using various techniques, such as interferometry or photon correlation measurements. These methods involve measuring the interference patterns or correlations between two photons to determine the coherence length.

What factors affect the coherence length of a single photon?

The coherence length of a single photon can be affected by factors such as the photon's frequency, the medium it is traveling through, and any interactions it may have with other particles along its path.

Can the coherence length of a single photon be increased?

Yes, the coherence length of a single photon can be increased by using techniques such as optical cavities or by controlling the environment in which the photon is traveling. However, the coherence length is ultimately limited by the properties of the photon itself.