Coinage (Invent some new words or phrases)

  • Thread starter Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
76 replies · 9K views
I always liked the word anvillessness from cartoon terminology. It describes the state of being without an anvil :smile: :smile: :smile: .
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anvility-state of being an anvil
 
Last edited:
GiDdyhead-person too mentally degenerated to stick his head out of the GD section for a significant time period.
 
I found this on the sig of a person on another forum.

dopeler effect - the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Now for an original coinage :

jabberwackiness - the ability to spew stupid ideas rapidly
 
Last edited:
Well, I found out that he had a wife but not much else: George Norman Garmonsway (1898-1967), Professor of English language in the University of London. I'm not giving up on this yet... irretardless.
 
honestrosewater said:
Well, I found out that he had a wife but not much else: George Norman Garmonsway (1898-1967), Professor of English language in the University of London. I'm not giving up on this yet... irretardless.
:smile:
Is the British registration office for births/marriages/deaths online yet?
 
HRW, are you the one who coined zoquoing around here?

zoquo (zo-kwo) v. to add irrelevant characters or words to the end of a post in PF to meet the ten character minimum.
 
honestrosewater said:
Well, I found out that he had a wife but not much else: George Norman Garmonsway (1898-1967), Professor of English language in the University of London. I'm not giving up on this yet... irretardless.
Have a blast, dear:
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/partners/gro.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And we mustn't forget crackpottery, either..
 
Moonbear said:
HRW, are you the one who coined zoquoing around here?

zoquo (zo-kwo) v. to add irrelevant characters or words to the end of a post in PF to meet the ten character minimum.
Not I....
 
Hey, I think this is him. He would have been about 18: http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=910429&CATLN=6&Highlight=,GARMONSWAY&FullDetails=True

doesn't help, but at least it's something...
 
honestrosewater said:
Hey, I think this is him. He would have been about 18: http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=910429&CATLN=6&Highlight=,GARMONSWAY&FullDetails=True

doesn't help, but at least it's something...
Not a whole lot of personal info, there; but we're closing in on George Norman and his paramour..

QUESTION:
He would have WOOED Rosalinda, right?
(Such a nice word; why did you stop using it?)
 
Last edited:
Obstropolous, conflabberation , are two i use.
 
What the eky thump??:confused:

Oh, our dear shy wollie ram is back! :smile:
 
arildno said:
Not a whole lot of personal info, there; but we're closing in on George Norman and his paramour..

QUESTION:
He would have WOOED Rosalinda, right?
(Such a nice word; why did you stop using it?)
That site is a conflabberation! I haven't been able to find an online search for marriages. I did find something else of his though:
http://www.nra.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/pidocs.asp?P=P10987
 
Last edited by a moderator:
She's eluding us! :cry:
Or, has she just eloped?
 
moonbearesque- a
1.a term usuallt meaning annoying or having a great desire to kill franzbear. or having a great avatar. you prick! you're so moonbearesque
2.relating to the PF username moonbear. who was very annoying in her quest to kill franzbear.
 
Is Perspicacity, a proper word yet?
 
wolram said:
Is Perspicacity, a proper word yet?
George Norman says so.
 
And, crumpatuous? Now there goes a crumpatuous lady. a cracker.
 
honestrosewater said:
russ watters' word salad (a meaningless string of words; worse than nonsense).
I can't claim the invention of that one. I've seen it many times in forums. I do, however, make up words all the time. I get that from my sister, who can verb-ize any word (turn any noun into a verb).

Anyway, some of my favorite invented words are ones I invent in the politics forum. Ie, "neohippieism".

edit: Related word - hippify: applied to a person, to grow long dredlocks, stop showering, and start smoking pot. Applied to an object - to paint it tie dyed, stop maintining it, and cover it with bumper stickers (whether its a car or not).
 
Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
dopeler effect - the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
Oh yeah - as an engineer, I have "coefficients" and "effects" for everything. Ie:

crackpot coefficient: fraction of posters in a thread who are crackpots.

"I'm outta here - the crackpot coefficient is just too high for meaningful conversation."
 
Maybe Rosalinda was his favorite childhood sled...
 
honestrosewater said:
Maybe Rosalinda was his favorite childhood sled...
Citizen Garmonsway on a sled??
I don't think so..
 
My best guess so far is http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:SCT5-s1-EhkJ:www.sal.org.uk/fellows/fellowsarea/archive/obituaries/show.php%3Fid%3D74 . I'm taking a break.
 
Last edited by a moderator: