NASA Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this is too damned funny!!! :rofl:

WASHINGTON (AP) — NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won...

NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report," to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hVxsBGs7scxZSkcCE1cL2B4BlECAD974D8800 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Danger

Gold Member
Oh, man... that is just too funny. Bravo, Stephen. I guess that it makes up for him losing the Grammy.
Colbert is one of those perfect chameleons. I both love and hate the character, but the actor behind the character is incredibly brilliant.

What a waste. Imagine what other names we internets couldve came up with that were funnier...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You know... when you think about it, NASA may be well served to go with Colbert. It would be great publicity. I think it might help to counter the stuffiness factor; that it would help to connect with the public. They would probably get more exposure with Colbert than we've seen since the first shuttle launched. He would abosolutely eat it up. He would go ballistic!!!

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I guess I was the only one who wanted to name it the Penguin room :(

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Colbert? How boring :frown:
If you are going to vote on mass like that, at least think of something good. Take the winner of Greenpeace's name-the-whale contest: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/about/save-mr-splashy-pants-20071210
HEY!

I am PROUD to have voted for Colbert for that new Pod! They were gonna go with "Serenity" or "Xenu" otherwise! Be aware that the pod is for the processing of waste material! The browncoats don't want that now do they really?

Edit: actually, "Mr. Splashypants" might be the perfect name for the waste pod. Point taken.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Meanwhile, during all of this hullaballoo about the ISS pod, Colbert got himself knighted by Queen Noor of Jordan. He is now Sir Doctor Stephen T. Colbert, DFA.

This man is on my short list of favorite people.

Last edited:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Meanwhile, during all of this hullaballoo about the ISS pod, Colbert got himself knighted by Queen Noor of Jordan. He is now Sir Doctor Stephen T. Colbert, DFA.

This man is on my short list of favorite people.
lol, if only they knew they just let the camel's nose under the tent

Danger

Gold Member
lol, if only they knew they just let the camel's nose under the tent
Come on man, this is Colbert we're talking about. He's probably backing in. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So NASA now makes announcements on comedy central! Too funny!!!

I voted for Colbert, I admit to being part of his Nation.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I voted for Colbert, I admit to being part of his Nation.
We find out tomorrow.

If Colbert wins, does that mean that we have a Colbert Orbit as well as a Colbert Nation?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Drum roll please.

And the winner is...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tranquility!

But he will have a treadmill on the space station named after him - the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill (COLBERT).

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Tranquility!

But he will have a treadmill on the space station named after him - the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill (COLBERT).
As important he gets the cool patch with his picture running the treadmill.

He did raise a good point about using the power from the treadmill to power the station. That would seem to be a useful feature of it if they could capture the power from it.

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The rumors were rampant that they were going to name the toilet after him. "Hold on, I have to go hit the Colbert". "One person's waste is another person's drinking water. Let's have a toast to our Colbert."

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Colbert is in Iraq wearing a camouflage suit. :rofl:

Tsu

Gold Member
Yes, and Gen. Ray Odierno gave him his HAIRCUT!!! :rofl: :rofl: (even funnier... It was apparently a Commander in Chief order from President Obama).