Kinetic Energy & Work Problem -- Tractor Pull Competition

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work and energy loss due to friction in two different scenarios. The final kinetic energy for object A is determined to be four times that of object B, and the conversation explores how to determine the energy loss due to friction and how to use elimination to find the correct answer.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-6_15-11-53.png

Homework Equations

W = ΔKE
W = KEf-KEi

The Attempt at a Solution

W = .5mvf2 -.5mvi2
I know that final KE for A is 4 times the KE of B because for A ... KEf = 1/2 m (2v)^2
4KE = 1/2 m v ^2 for A

I don't know what initial KE for both of them are... so how do i know if that had equal losses of energy to friction??

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_15-11-53.png
    upload_2017-11-6_15-11-53.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 871
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:
so how do i know if that had equal losses of energy to friction??
How would you determine the energy loss due to friction? Hint: How would you calculate the work done by friction?

Hmmmm. I see where this might go. Let me see:

Wfriction = Ffriction*d
Ffriction = μk*N
N = mg --> Normal force is same for both cases

Ffrction = same for both cases

thus...! Wfriction = Ff*d (same for both blocks right cause same distance too)

Energy loss is Wfriction = energy of friction loss

I think that is it, so it proves that they loss equal amounts of friction.Also, couldn't i have found the answer by elimination? I know that b) is definitely false because there is friction and it's loss to displacement. I also know a) , d), e) is falso because I found that KE for A is 4 times B which doesn't fit for these choices... so what's left is c) --which i thought would be false, but it was proved otherwise.

Lori said:
I think that is it, so it proves that they loss equal amounts of friction.
Good job!

Lori said:
Also, couldn't i have found the answer by elimination?
Only if you were sure about d & e being false, which requires knowing something about the energy lost to friction.

Likes Lori

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2.

How does kinetic energy relate to work?

Kinetic energy is a form of energy that is associated with the work an object can do due to its motion. When work is done on an object, it gains kinetic energy, and when work is done by an object, it loses kinetic energy.

What is a tractor pull competition?

A tractor pull competition is an event in which tractors are used to pull heavy sleds along a horizontal track. The tractor that can pull the sled the furthest distance wins.

How is kinetic energy used in a tractor pull competition?

Kinetic energy is used in a tractor pull competition to determine the amount of work the tractors are doing. The tractor with the most kinetic energy will be able to pull the sled the furthest distance, making it the winner.

What factors can affect the amount of work and kinetic energy in a tractor pull competition?

The mass and velocity of the tractor, as well as the weight of the sled, can affect the amount of work and kinetic energy in a tractor pull competition. Additionally, factors such as the condition of the track and the skill of the driver can also impact the outcome.