How Do You Calculate Car Mass from Kinetic Energy Change?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Marts12
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A) A car moving at 18 m/s is accelerated to 35 m/s. If the change in kinetic energy is 154 kJ, determine the mass of the car.

Homework Equations



KE = 0.5mv^2
Kinetic energy = change in momentum = mv2-mv1


The Attempt at a Solution



Im not sure how to go about this problem, but I suspect that the mass can be obtained from the fact that kinetic energy is equal to the change in momentum?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Marts12 said:
KE = 0.5mv^2
Kinetic energy = change in momentum = mv2-mv1

Aren't these two equations contradictory? Which one is correct?
 
KE=0.5mv^2 is the correct equation for kinetic energy, but we are given that.

Am I right in saying that I need an equation that relates the change in Kinetic energy to mass?
 
Marts12 said:
KE=0.5mv^2 is the correct equation for kinetic energy, but we are given that.

Am I right in saying that I need an equation that relates the change in Kinetic energy to mass?
Yes, and you already have all the ingredients to construct that equation yourself.
 
Ok,

If I were to say that Change in Kinetic Energy = mv2^2 - mv1^2

Where v2 = final velocity and
V1 = initial velocity

Would I be on the right lines?
 
Marts12 said:
Ok,

If I were to say that Change in Kinetic Energy = mv2^2 - mv1^2

Where v2 = final velocity and
V1 = initial velocity

Would I be on the right lines?
Nearly, but you lost the 1/2.
 
Perfect so,

Change in Kinetic Energy = 0.5mv2^2 - 0.5mv1^2

Thank you for your help DrClaude