1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College's Near DC/Virgina Area ?

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone. :) I was just wondering if anyone knew off hand any good colleges around the DC/Virgina area (Less than two hours away from Crystal City...? I'd rather have it closer, but still.) that offer physics (Theoretical, not applied...)? I'm going to be an undergrad, but I want to transfer to somewhere closer to that area.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks a ton!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2
    The University of Maryland is probably the best school for physics/engineering in the DC/Metro area. Also, Johns Hopkins is only about an hour or so north of DC. George Washington Univ., and George Mason Univ. also have physics programs.
  4. Jul 24, 2006 #3
    I can't speak for other schools, but I'll be going to the University of Maryland this fall and it has an excellent physics program, and their tenured faculty is about 75 strong, so there should be plenty of resources.

There is their website if you want to poke around for a bit.
  5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

UMD (College Park) is real close and has an excellent Physics program. Johns Hopkins has a very good program too. Within about 2.5 hours from the DC area, you have UPenn (in Philly) and UVa (Charlottesville), which have great programs too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?