Collimating incoherent light emitted by a LED

• Thread starter jcfutbal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the best method to collimate light from a LED with minimal loss of light intensity. The emitter has an area of 12mm^2 and a maximum divergence angle of 80°, and the desired beam diameter is 5-10mm. The person has tried using an aspheric condenser lens but still experiences significant divergence. They are considering adding more lenses, but it seems difficult to maintain a small beam diameter without losing light. One possible solution is to use a pinhole, but this would also result in a loss of light. The conversation also mentions using a laser LED, but there are limitations with diffraction.
jcfutbal
Hello,

What would be the best method to "collimate" light from a LED with an emitting area of 12mm^2 and a maximum divergence angle of 80° with minimal loss of light intensity?

I want to collimate it into a beam of approximately 5-10mm.

I have an aspheric condenser lense at hand with an effective focal length of 13.7mm. This lens succeeds in making the beam spherical, with a diameter of approximately 30mm at the focal length, but it still undergoes significant divergence. I have tried adding more positive lenses into the optical system to try, but I can't seem to create such a small beam diameter without losing a great portion of the emitted lighted.

Is there any particular lense configuration I could use?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
I think it is hard to keep a significant fraction of light in the beam, unless you add a lense every 2-5 cm or something similar. You cannot reduce the phase-space size of your light, no matter how the setup looks like.

Last edited:
I agree with mfb- the large size of the emitter restricts your ability to collimate the beam at even a moderate diameter without lossy beam shaping (spatial filtering, for example).

Over what range does the beam need to be 5-10mm in diameter?

there is no limit as to distance, as I have a lot of mirrors available and a lot of workspace. what is the best way to reduce the amount of light lost? I managed to "collimate" it to a diameter of about 10mm, but in order to do so I used a setup similar to a pinhole and I lost a lot of light. but to me at this stage a pinhole seems the way to go...

to ask the obvious...

why not just use a laser LED ?? already collimated with built in lens :)

Dave

i want to try and use a LED instead!

You´re perfectly right about the pinhole.
The standard way of producing a parallel beam used to be:
Use a lens to produce a (reduced) image of your light source onto/into a pinhole. Try to capture as much of the light as possible.
On the other side of the pinhole, use a lens to produce your collimated beam. Then you use autocollimation to adjust the position (and tilt) of the lens for minimal divergence (and beam position). Beam size adjustment requires a diaphragm.
But of course you will lose a lot of light this way. You can vary the pinhole size for the best compromise.
And you´d better use an optical bench or an optical table for mechanical stability.

"no limit as to distance" implies zero power from an incoherent source, even if there were no diffraction.

A laser diode would be limited by diffraction. You get one diode in each CD or DVD reader-burner.

What is collimation?

Collimation is the process of making a light beam parallel or nearly parallel. This is achieved by using a lens or a series of lenses to adjust the direction and shape of the light beam.

Why is collimation important for incoherent light emitted by a LED?

Incoherent light emitted by a LED is scattered and has a wide angular distribution. Collimation is important because it helps to control and direct the light beam, making it more useful for various applications such as in optical devices or displays.

What are the methods for collimating incoherent light emitted by a LED?

The two main methods for collimating incoherent light emitted by a LED are using lenses and using reflectors. Lenses can be used to shape and direct the light beam, while reflectors can be used to redirect the scattered light into a more parallel direction.

What are the challenges in collimating incoherent light emitted by a LED?

One of the main challenges in collimation is achieving a high degree of collimation, as LEDs emit light with a wide angular distribution. Another challenge is maintaining the collimation over a large distance, as the light beam may diverge or spread out over longer distances.

How can the collimation of incoherent light emitted by a LED be measured?

The collimation of incoherent light emitted by a LED can be measured using various techniques such as beam profiling, interferometry, or by using a collimator with a known beam angle. These methods can help to determine the degree of collimation and assess the effectiveness of collimation techniques.