1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision detection between a moving circle and stationary point

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to find a collision between a moving circle and a stationary line segment. I have the x and y of the point, and the x, y, radius, x velocity, and y velocity of the circle.

//Edit:
    I tried using the equation of a circle with the origin at the point (P) and a radius equal to that of the original circle, and then solving that for x, substituting the equation for the line of motion of of the ball in place of y:

m=(ball.yVelocity)/(ball.xVelocity)
    b=ball.y-ball.x*m
    r2=((mx+b)-Py)2+(x-Px)2

I multiplied it all out and simplified it to standard form. Then I collected like terms and came up with these variables

A=m2+1;
    B=2*m*b-2*m*Py-2*Px;
    C=b2-2*b*Py+Py2+Px2;

Then I used the quadratic formula to find the intercepts

That should work, but it doesn't...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2
    Wow...never mind, I am an idiot...I forgot to subtract r2 before collecting terms!

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    Oh...but this doesn't work if the circle has an x velocity of 0...How do I deal with that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook