Collision & Impact Homework: ClarkGriswold, 30m/s, 50kg, 20kg, 15kg

  • Thread starter Thread starter Just_enough
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Collision Impact
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Just_enough
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car moving at 30 m/s has a collision and comes to rest in 0.1 seconds. The driver, ClarkGriswold, is brought to rest by an air bag in 0.13s. The driver has a mass of 50 kg.
1) What average force is exerted by the air bag on the driver ?
3) How far does the driver travel while stopping?
4) Two suitcases fly off the roof of the carmoving at 12 m/s relative to the groundand the lid of one pops open, pushingthem apart. The opened suitcase, with amass of 20 kg, is moving at 6 m/s afterthey separate. If the second suitcase hasa mass of 15 kg, what is its velocityafter they separate? https://gyazo.com/59d8533684d27020728eb27ae61cf85d.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution


1) I assume you use impulse = change (f*t=m*change in v)) in momentum to find the force, but my teacher been talking about using energy to solve stuff, so I don't know if I can use energy formula to solve it somehow? also my answer using impulse = change in momentum equation give me 11538.46 N
3) Is it easy as multiplying the speed to the .13s? (30m/s*0.13s)
4) wouldn't the red suitcase continues flying at 12m/s?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just_enough said:
1) I assume you use impulse = change (f*t=m*change in v)) in momentum to find the force, but my teacher been talking about using energy to solve stuff, so I don't know if I can use energy formula to solve it somehow? also my answer using impulse = change in momentum equation give me 11538.46 N
Using impulse is the way to go. Energy concepts are not useful here. Your answer looks correct, but you have way too many significant figures.
3) Is it easy as multiplying the speed to the .13s? (30m/s*0.13s)
No, the driver does not travel at 30 m/s throughout the 0.13 s time interval.
4) wouldn't the red suitcase continues flying at 12m/s?
Why did the gray suitcase slow down? Was the red suitcase involved?
upload_2016-11-7_19-59-15.png