Coloumb's Law problem (calculating Electrical force on a charge)

How can you calculate the direction of the total force?In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving calculations of electrical force on specific charges. The first problem asks to find the electrical force on a negative charge in an equilateral triangle with two positive charges fixed at the vertices. The second problem involves finding the electric force on a charge with two other charges fixed at a distance apart. The conversation also includes a request for explanations on how to solve these problems and a discussion on the direction of the total force.
XuFyaN
1st Problem

Two positive charges, each 4.18C, and a negative charge, -6.36C are fixed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side 0.13m.
Find the electrical force on the negative charge.

I don't know how to calculate electrical force on a specific charge :-S
and please explain why we take negative charge always as positive ?

please explain in detail why we take negative charge always as positive when applying coulomb's law.

2nd problem:

two charges q1 and q2, held a fixed distance d apart. (a) Find the strength of electric force that acts on qi. Assume that q1=q2=21.3C and distance=1.52m
(b)
A third charge q3=21.3C is brought in and placed as shown in figure, find the electric force on q1 now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23502&stc=1&d=1265227701.jpg

i've solved part (a) of the 2nd problem but i don't know how to solve the second part of it :-S
please explain

( I don't want the answers of these problems , i just need some help and explanation )

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,214
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi XuFyaN! Welcome to PF! :smile:
XuFyaN said:
I don't know how to calculate electrical force on a specific charge :-S

If E is the field and q is the charge, the the force is F = qE.
and please explain why we take negative charge always as positive ?

please explain in detail why we take negative charge always as positive when applying coulomb's law.

I don't understand what you mean. :confused:
two charges q1 and q2, held a fixed distance d apart. (a) Find the strength of electric force that acts on qi. Assume that q1=q2=21.3C and distance=1.52m
(b)
A third charge q3=21.3C is brought in and placed as shown in figure, find the electric force on q1 now.

i've solved part (a) of the 2nd problem but i don't know how to solve the second part of it

Find the force on q1 as if q3 wasn't there, and the force on q1 as if q2 wasn't there.

That will give you two vectors, so add those vectors (either by adding the components, or by using a vector triangle ). :smile:

for Problem 1:

no E is given there :-S , how can i solve it ?
first i applied coloumb's law on two charges q1 and q2 , what should be the next step ?

for problem 2

i have solved (a) part by using F=kq1q2/r2
and got the answer 1.76N , but for part (b),
i don't know how to find the strength of the electric force on q1 charge ?

Edit:

part (b) of 2nd problem has been solved but i don't know its correct or incorrect , please have a look
F1= F12+F13sin45
F1=1.76+1.76(0.707)
F1=3.00N

is it correct or incorrect ?

Last edited:
please reply

XuFyaN said:
part (b) of 2nd problem has been solved but i don't know its correct or incorrect , please have a look
F1= F12+F13sin45
F1=1.76+1.76(0.707)
F1=3.00N

(is it 45º? the original question was about an equilateral triangle (3 x 60º), is this the same?)

No, you've assumed the resultant force is along one of the sides, it isn't.

so should i have to multiply sin60 by 3 ??
bec0z according to b0ok the answer is 3.02N and i am not getting this correct :(

XuFyaN said:
so should i have to multiply sin60 by 3 ??

Stop guessing! :rolleyes:

Which direction do you think the total force is in?

1. What is Coloumb's Law and how is it used in calculating electrical force on a charge?

Coloumb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is used to calculate the electrical force on a charge by plugging in the values of the charges and distance into the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electrical force using Coloumb's Law?

The direction of the electrical force between two charged particles is determined by the sign of the charges. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, and if they are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive. This can also be determined by the positive and negative signs in the formula, where a positive value indicates a repulsive force and a negative value indicates an attractive force.

3. Can Coloumb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charges?

Yes, Coloumb's Law can be used to calculate the force between any number of charges. The force on a charge due to multiple charges is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces on that charge from each of the other charges. This can be calculated by using the principle of superposition, where the total force is the sum of the individual forces.

4. What units are used in Coloumb's Law?

The units used in Coloumb's Law depend on the system of units being used. In the SI system, the units for charge are coulombs (C), the unit for distance is meters (m), and the unit for force is newtons (N). In the CGS system, the units for charge are statcoulombs (statC), the unit for distance is centimeters (cm), and the unit for force is dynes (dyn).

5. What are some real-life applications of Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law has many real-life applications, including understanding the behavior of electric charges in circuits, designing electronic devices, and analyzing the attraction and repulsion of particles in atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields such as electromagnetism, electrostatics, and plasma physics. Applications of Coloumb's Law can be found in technology, engineering, and scientific research.