Combination formula on dice and bit errors

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the combination formula nCr to different scenarios, such as finding the probability of bit errors and rolling dice. The formula is derived using a deck of cards and can be applied to situations where order does not matter. However, there is confusion about how the formula applies to situations where order does matter, such as bit errors and dice rolls. The concept of "bit order" is compared to "order of drawing cards" and it is clarified that bit order is equivalent to all 52 bits being different, while the order of cards drawn does not matter. Overall, the combination formula is useful for finding the number of possible ways of having a certain outcome, regardless of order.
FrankJ777
When the learning combination formula the formula nCr is usually derived using a deck of cards. There are n=52 different card. If you choose r number of cards, each is different so you basically start with n!/(n-r)! , then because the order is unimportant multiply by 1/r!. This explanation is pretty straight forward. What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is how the formula is applied to bit errors where there seems to be repeats and order does matter. For example if I want to find the probability of having one bit error in a four bit word I start by finding the number of possible ways there are of having single bit error in the word.
Where 'o' represents a correct bit and 'E' represents an error, here are the possible ways to have words with a single bit error:
oooE ooEo ooEo Eooo
Counting the ways and using the formula 4C1 i find there are 4 combinations. This works also for 2,3, and 4 errors, but I don't understand why the combination formula applies, as it seems that order does matter, and there does seem to be repeats. Should I look at the situation as each bit error position is unique like each card in a deck is unique, so that when I "choose" r bit errors I'm actually choosing the bit position to be in error.

Also for the situation with something like dice. It seems I should be able to extend the same concept as above. Let's say I have three, three sided dice. If I want to calculate the odds of rolling a single '2'. Should I use the combination formula to find how many ways there are of rolling a single '2'? If I tabulate the possible ways of rolling the dice and count the ways having a single '2' in the outcome I count 12 ways (underlined). But if I use 3C1 I of course get 3 as the number of combinations of outcomes that produce a single 2. It seems obvious that the probability of rolling a single '2' is 12/27 and not 3/27, but what method should I use find the possible ways of getting a single '2' in this situation. It seems that I'm just extending the concept of how I used nCr to find the possible ways of having a single bit in error.

\begin{matrix} 111& \underline{112} & 113 \\ \underline{121}& 122& \underline{123}\\ 131& \underline{132} & 133 \\ \underline{211}& 212 & \underline{213} \\ 221& 222& 223\\ \underline{231}& 232 & \underline{233} \\ 311& \underline{312} & 313 \\ \underline{321}& 322& \underline{323}\\ 331& \underline{332} & 333 \\ & & \end{matrix}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Bit order" does not correspond to "order of drawing cards".
"Bit order" is equivalent to "all 52 cards are different" (imagine 52 bits, each bit is like a card) and "the order of cards drawn" does not matter corresponds to "if we pick two bits at random to have an error, it does not matter which one we pick first".

1. What is the combination formula used for in relation to dice?

The combination formula is used to calculate the number of possible outcomes when multiple dice are rolled. It takes into account the total number of dice, the number of sides on each die, and the arrangement of the dice.

2. How is the combination formula applied to calculate bit errors?

In the context of bit errors, the combination formula is used to calculate the probability of multiple bits being in error at the same time. It takes into account the total number of bits, the number of bits in error, and the probability of a single bit being in error.

3. Can the combination formula be used for any number of dice or bits?

Yes, the combination formula can be used for any number of dice or bits. It is a versatile formula that can be applied to different situations as long as the inputs are known.

4. How does the combination formula take into account the arrangement of dice or bits?

The combination formula includes a factor for the arrangement of the dice or bits, represented by the symbol "n". This factor is calculated by dividing the total number of objects by the product of the number of objects chosen and the number of objects remaining.

5. How can the combination formula be used to improve the accuracy of dice rolls or bit transmission?

The combination formula can be used to determine the number of dice or bits that should be used in order to achieve a desired level of accuracy. By adjusting the inputs of the formula, such as the number of dice or bits, the probability of errors can be reduced.