Combinations: C(28,2n)/C(24,2n-4)=225/11 Solve for n

In summary, to solve for n in the given problem, you must use combinations instead of permutations. After substituting and simplifying, you should look for ways to cancel out the factorials. Set the resulting expression equal to the given quotient and solve for n.
yourmom98
i am given C(28,2n)/C(24,2n-4)=225/11 where C are combonations. i am supposed to solve for n. after subbing in n and k and simplifying i get (11*28!)/2n!=(225*24!)/(2n-4)! (i am pretty sure this is correct). i do not seem to be able to continue after that. how do i solve for n?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a combination is
C(n, k) = n!/(k!(n-k)!)
it looks like you are using permutations. Once you fix that, you should look for ways to cancel out the factorials by writing them as products. n!/k! = n * (n-1) * ... * (n-k+1) with n > k will be useful.

[tex]C(28, 2n)= \frac{28!}{(2n)!(28- 2n)!}[/tex]
[tex]C(24,2n-4)= \frac{24!}{(2n-4)!(24- (2n-4))!}[/tex]
so the quotient is (fortunately for us 24- (2n-4)= 24- 2n+ 4= 28- 2n)
[tex]\frac{28!}{(2n)!(28- 2n)!}\frac{(2n-4)!(28-2n!)}{24!}

Now, what is [itex]\frac{28!}{24!}[/itex]? What is [itex]\frac{(2n-4)!}{(2n)!}[/itex]?
Set equal to [itex]\frac{225}{11}[/itex] and solve for n.

1. What is the equation for "Combinations: C(28,2n)/C(24,2n-4)=225/11"?

The equation represents the combination of choosing 2n items from a set of 28 items, divided by the combination of choosing 2n-4 items from a set of 24 items. The result should equal 225/11.

2. How do you solve for n in this equation?

To solve for n, you will need to use algebraic methods to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This may involve simplifying fractions, distributing terms, and combining like terms.

3. What does the value of n represent in this equation?

The value of n represents the number of items being chosen from each set in order to satisfy the equation. It is a variable that can take on different values depending on the specific scenario.

4. Can you provide an example of how this equation can be applied in a real-life situation?

One example could be determining the number of ways to form a committee of 2n members from a pool of 28 candidates, where 4 of the candidates must be chosen from a separate pool of 24 candidates.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, this equation assumes that all items in each set are distinct and that order does not matter in the combinations. It also assumes that the items in each set are not repeated in the other set. Additionally, this equation may not be applicable in scenarios where the number of items in each set is not known or varies.