Combinatorics: Choosing Sets of Distinct Digits

In summary, there are 1344 integers between 1000 and 10000 with distinct digits and at least one of 2 and 4 appearing. However, this answer is incorrect and the correct answer is 3066. A more accurate approach would be to split case 2 into two subcases, accounting for the 7 possibilities for the leading digit and avoiding double counting.
Shoney45

Homework Statement

How many integers between 1000 and 10000 are there with distinct digits (no leading zeros) and at least one of 2 and 4 must appear?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I am discounting the case of 10,000 since that has repeating digits. Thus, there are only numbers with four digits. I broke this into two cases.

Case 1) Where two or four is the first digit in the sequence. I am coming up with
2 x 9 x 8 x 7

Case 2) Where either two or four is in one of the last three positions. There are nine digits (no leading zeros) to use for the first digit. And there are 2 x 3 possible ways to place a 2 or a 4 in the remaining three positions. So now there are two digits gone, which leaves me with 8 x 7 ways to choose the remaining two spots. Thus, my answer for case two is 2 x 3 x 8 x 7

The total answer for (2 x 9 x 8 x 7) + (2 x 3 x 8 x 7) = 1344. But this answer is wrong from the one in the back of the book. And I can't understand how they are coming up with 3066.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your case 2 is messed. i) You forgot to account for the 7 possibilities for the leading digit and ii) you are overcounting numbers like 7421. You would count that twice as a 4 in the second digit and again for the 2 in the third. I would split case 2 into two subcases. First, there is exactly one 2 or 4 in the last three digits and second, both 2 and 4 are in the last three digits.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a specific way.

2. What does it mean to choose sets of distinct digits?

Choosing sets of distinct digits means selecting a specific number of numbers from a larger set of numbers, where each number is unique and not repeated.

3. How do you calculate the number of possible combinations when choosing sets of distinct digits?

To calculate the number of possible combinations, you can use the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements being chosen. For example, if you have 10 digits and you want to choose 3 of them, the number of combinations would be 10C3 = 10! / 3!(10-3)! = 120.

4. What are some real-life applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many real-life applications, such as in probability and statistics, computer science, and cryptography. It is also used in areas such as genetics, scheduling, and network analysis.

5. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

In combinatorics, combinations refer to the number of ways to choose a subset of objects from a larger set, where the order of the objects does not matter. Permutations, on the other hand, refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order. In other words, combinations are unordered while permutations are ordered.