Combinatorics - No two together

In summary, we can approach this problem by reducing it to one that has no constraints. This can be done by treating the men and women as identical and then carving the men into the right number of partitions. Another approach is to fill the men with a gap between each one and then adding two imaginary places at each end. The women can then be placed in these gaps, with any women on the imaginary places being shifted into the empty real places. Ultimately, there are m! x P(m + 1, n) ways to arrange m men and n women such that no two women are besides each other.
Yashbhatt

Homework Statement

In how many ways can m men and n women be arranged such that no two women are besides each other?
(m > n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The given answer is m! x P(m + 1, n). I understood how the answer should be a multiple of m!. I also understood that there should be an n in P(m + 1, n). What I couldn't get was how do we get the m + 1 part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this is mathematically equivalent to something else that could make more intuitive sense. Have you tried computing for small examples? m = 3, n = 2?
You would have
mmwmw
mwmwm
wmwmm
wmmwm
mwmmw
wmmmw
as your permutations, then multiplied by the number of orderings.
Do a couple more and see if the math works out, maybe you will spot your own pattern.

Yashbhatt said:
In how many ways can m men and n women be arranged such that no two women are besides each other?
(m > n)
It doesn't say, but this seems to refer to arrangement in a straight line, not a circle.
I approach this class of problems by reducing to one that has no such constraint.
First, treat men as identical and women as identical. We can fix that up later by multiplying by the appropriate factorials.
Suppose you have a valid arrangement. The women in the line partition the set of men into subsets (how many?). What constraint is there on the size of each subset (it's not the same for all of them)? Where the constraint is >= 1, throw a man away. How many men are left? How many ways are there of carving them into the right number of partitions of >= 0 each?
To show the technique is valid, you need to see that there is a 1-1 mapping between solutions to the reduced problem and those to the original one. We have the mapping one way. To go the other, just insert one man into every partition that should have at least one.

haruspex said:
It doesn't say, but this seems to refer to arrangement in a straight line, not a circle.
I approach this class of problems by reducing to one that has no such constraint.
First, treat men as identical and women as identical. We can fix that up later by multiplying by the appropriate factorials.
Suppose you have a valid arrangement. The women in the line partition the set of men into subsets (how many?). What constraint is there on the size of each subset (it's not the same for all of them)? Where the constraint is >= 1, throw a man away. How many men are left? How many ways are there of carving them into the right number of partitions of >= 0 each?
To show the technique is valid, you need to see that there is a 1-1 mapping between solutions to the reduced problem and those to the original one. We have the mapping one way. To go the other, just insert one man into every partition that should have at least one.

A friend told me this approach : First, let us consider filling all the men. We will fill them with a gap between each one of them so that we can fill the women there. Now, if we fill them in such a way, there will be m - 1 gaps. Now, add two imaginary places at each end. So, now there are m + 1 places. Fill the women in those places and if there are any women on those imaginary gaps, shift them in and in this way we will reach the answer.

Is that correct?

Yashbhatt said:
A friend told me this approach : First, let us consider filling all the men. We will fill them with a gap between each one of them so that we can fill the women there. Now, if we fill them in such a way, there will be m - 1 gaps. Now, add two imaginary places at each end. So, now there are m + 1 places. Fill the women in those places and if there are any women on those imaginary gaps, shift them in and in this way we will reach the answer.

Is that correct?
Yes, that's an excellent method - though I didn't understand the bit "if there are any women on those imaginary gaps, shift them in". What is meant by shifting them in? Seems to me the job is done.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's an excellent method - though I didn't understand the bit "if there are any women on those imaginary gaps, shift them in". What is meant by shifting them in? Seems to me the job is done.

It is to simplify things. Like after all those gaps are imaginary. So, if you have placed the first man on the first seat and then all others with a gap in between, you don't have to work what will be the case then. Just first arrange the women in the seats including the imaginary ones. If you place them on the imaginary ones, then there will be places in between which are empty because m + 1 > n. So, now shift them from the imaginary ones to the empty real ones.

Yashbhatt said:
It is to simplify things. Like after all those gaps are imaginary. So, if you have placed the first man on the first seat and then all others with a gap in between, you don't have to work what will be the case then. Just first arrange the women in the seats including the imaginary ones. If you place them on the imaginary ones, then there will be places in between which are empty because m + 1 > n. So, now shift them from the imaginary ones to the empty real ones.

I don't follow this logic. The way I'd look at it is. First, you place the n men:

- M - M - M ... - M -

Each dash (-) represents a place where a woman could stand. There are (m+1) such places and n women, so ##\binom{m+1}{n}## possibilities.

Last edited:
Likes Murtuza Tipu
PeroK said:
I don't follow this logic. The way I'd look at it is. First, you place the n men:

- M - M - M ... - M -

Each dash (-) represents a place where a woman could stand. There are (n+1) such places and m women, so ##\binom{n+1}{m}## possibilities.

Yes. That is what I am trying to say.

And according to the question it is P(m + 1, n) and not P(n + 1, m).

Yashbhatt said:
Yes. That is what I am trying to say.

And according to the question it is P(m + 1, n) and not P(n + 1, m).

Yes, got n and m mixed up. Corrected now.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in different ways.

2. What does "no two together" mean in combinatorics?

"No two together" refers to a situation where certain objects or events cannot occur together in a given arrangement or combination.

3. How is "no two together" applied in real-life situations?

In real-life situations, "no two together" can be applied to scheduling tasks or events, organizing seating arrangements, or forming teams without certain members being together.

4. What are some common strategies for solving "no two together" combinatorics problems?

Some common strategies for solving "no two together" combinatorics problems include using the principle of inclusion and exclusion, using permutations and combinations, and using graph theory.

5. How does "no two together" relate to the concept of independence in probability?

"No two together" is closely related to the concept of independence in probability, as it refers to the condition where certain events are not dependent on each other and can occur separately. In combinatorics, this translates to certain objects or events being able to be arranged or combined without any restrictions or limitations.