Simplifying Product Homework: Combinatorics Problem on Object Arrangements

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified expression for the number of arrangements of R distinct types of objects, given the number of objects for each type. The proposed solution involves using a combination formula and eventually results in an expression of n! multiplied by a product of 1 over the number of objects for each type. The conversation also clarifies that this solution is valid only if the sum of the number of objects for each type is equal to the total number of objects.
iScience

Homework Statement

This is a child thread I'm creating from a previous topic:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/combinatorics-problem.871661/#post-5473920

In that thread, I was helped to come up with the expression for the number of arrangements of R distinct types of objects given the number of objects for each object type: {r_i} I'm just trying to simplify it now. I wanted to double check the work. Something seems off.

Homework Equations

$$\prod {_{n - \sum{r_{i-1}}}C_{r_j}}$$
or more specifically,
$$\prod_{j=1}^{R} {_{n - \sum_{i=1}^{j}{r_{i-1}}}C_{r_j}}$$
$$r_0 = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$_{m}C_{k} = \frac{m!}{k!(m-k)!}$$
$$\therefore \space\space\space\space\prod_{j=1}^{R} \frac{(n - \sum_{i=1}^{j}{r_{i-1}})!}{r_j!(n - \sum_{i=1}^{j}{r_{i-1}} - r_j)!}$$

$$\frac{(n - 0)! \cdot (n - r_1)! \cdot (n - r_1 - r_ 2)! ... }{(r_1! \cdot r_2! \cdot r_3! ... ) [(n - r_1)! \cdot (n - r_1 - r_2)! \cdot (n - r_1 - r_2 - r_3)! ... ] }$$

$$n!\prod_{j=1}^{R} \frac{1}{r_j!}$$Let me know if I can clear anything up!

Physics news on Phys.org
Provided it is the case that ##\sum_{i=1}^Rr_i=n##, that looks correct to me.

1. What is combinatorics and how does it relate to product homework?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of counting, arrangements, and combinations of objects. In the context of product homework, combinatorics is used to solve problems that involve arranging or selecting objects in a specific order.

2. How do I simplify a combinatorics problem on object arrangements?

To simplify a combinatorics problem on object arrangements, it is important to understand the fundamental principles such as permutations and combinations. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and apply the appropriate formulas or techniques to solve for the final answer.

3. Can you provide an example of a combinatorics problem on object arrangements?

Sure, an example of a combinatorics problem on object arrangements could be: "In how many ways can 6 books be arranged on a shelf if 3 of them are science books and must be placed next to each other?" This problem can be solved by first finding the number of ways to arrange the 3 science books and then multiplying it by the number of ways to arrange the remaining 3 books.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a combinatorics problem on object arrangements?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a combinatorics problem on object arrangements include forgetting to account for all possible arrangements, using the wrong formula, and not considering the order of objects in the arrangement. It is important to carefully read the problem and think logically to avoid these errors.

5. Is there a specific strategy for solving combinatorics problems on object arrangements?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve combinatorics problems on object arrangements. These include identifying the type of problem (permutations or combinations), breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or tables, and practicing with similar problems to improve problem-solving skills.