Combinatorics: Spreading Rumors and Probability

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the probability of someone receiving the third call if they started the rumor is 1/9.
Shoney45

Homework Statement

A rumor is spread randomly among a group of 10 people by successively having one person call someone, who calls someone and so on. A person can pass the rumor on to anyone except the individual who just called.

What is the probability that if A starts the rumor, A receives the third call?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having difficulty getting started with this one. If person A starts the rumor, then the way the question is worded, it would appear that A could choose any ten people that happen to live on planet Earth who happens to own a telephone. So that's got me real confused and I don't know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shoney45! :smile:
Shoney45 said:
A rumor is spread randomly among a group of 10 people by successively having one person call someone, who calls someone and so on.

If person A starts the rumor, then the way the question is worded, it would appear that A could choose any ten people that happen to live on planet Earth who happens to own a telephone. So that's got me real confused and I don't know how to start.

No, it means a fixed group of 10 people. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

No, it means a fixed group of 10 people. :wink:

Cheers Tiny Tim! And thanks for your smiles!

So are you understanding the problem to say that the set of people which can be called to spread the rumor to consists of only ten people? So in other words, if A starts the rumor, and then calls those ten people, are you understanding the question to mean that that set of people who can be called with the rumor is the same set of ten people who were just called and given the rumor, and so on for any successive calls?

It doesn't much sound like rumor spreading to me, but if that is the problem then I will go with it.

Shoney45 said:
It doesn't much sound like rumor spreading to me, but if that is the problem then I will go with it.

The people who set these questions only know approximately nine other people. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

The people who set these questions only know approximately nine other people. :wink:

Sweet! Well, I guess I'll wrestle with the problem under this set of shiny new asumptions.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

2. What is the role of combinatorics in spreading rumors?

Combinatorics can be used to calculate the number of possible ways a rumor can spread through a network of people, and to determine the probability of certain outcomes.

3. How is probability related to spreading rumors?

Probability is used in combinatorics to determine the likelihood of a rumor reaching a certain number of people within a given network, and to estimate the chances of it being true or false.

4. Can combinatorics be applied to other real-world scenarios?

Yes, combinatorics has many applications in real-world situations, such as in predicting outcomes in gambling, analyzing voting systems, and optimizing computer algorithms.

5. What are some common techniques used in combinatorics?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics include permutations, combinations, and the use of mathematical formulas such as the binomial theorem and the inclusion-exclusion principle.