1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combined rotational and translational motion

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to determine the total kinetic energy of a long thin rod relative to a laboratory frame which rotates around an axis at an angular velocity w and the axis moves at a constant translational velocity. The mass of the rod is M and the length of the rod is L. The translational velocity of the axis is Vaxis.

2. Relevant equations
    Moment of Inertia, I, of rod is: 1/3 M (L sq) (This is because the rod rotates at one end).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the total kinetic energy should be: Total KE = 1/2 M (Vaxis sq) + 1/2 I (w sq).
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    Hello e2m2a
    The moment of inertia is correct and addition of energies too. Is there some relation of the tangential and the rotational velocities. Remind that the endpoint velocitie for a whip is one mach. The maximum is there when the endpoint of the rods velocity L*w adds up to Vaxis.
    greetings Janm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook