Combining a career in physics and being a missionary?

In summary, the speaker is a 3rd-year undergrad majoring in physics and planning to pursue a Ph.D. for both personal and financial reasons. They are also considering being a missionary and using their skills in physics to support themselves. They are open to various options, including teaching in a university, but would prefer to do humanitarian work. The possibility of joining the Peace Corps or using their physics background in engineering or medical work overseas is also discussed.
Dishsoap
Greetings, fellow PFers.

I'm only a 3rd-year undergrad in physics, and after undergrad I am going on to get a Ph.D. (not only is this my choice, but I have a scholarship which requires at least 4 years of graduate study). For various religious reasons, I'm also considering being a missionary, but would like to also have a career in physics to be able to support myself financially, and because I love it. I'd particularly like to settle in the Middle East as I'm also a Hebrew scholar, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I'm definitely considering the possibility of teaching in a university, however if possible I would like to stay out of academia and do more humanitarian work. Really, I'm just looking for options. Please let me know of any advice/experiences you may know of.

Physics news on Phys.org
samnorris93 said:
Greetings, fellow PFers.

I'm only a 3rd-year undergrad in physics, and after undergrad I am going on to get a Ph.D. (not only is this my choice, but I have a scholarship which requires at least 4 years of graduate study). For various religious reasons, I'm also considering being a missionary, but would like to also have a career in physics to be able to support myself financially, and because I love it. I'd particularly like to settle in the Middle East as I'm also a Hebrew scholar, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I'm definitely considering the possibility of teaching in a university, however if possible I would like to stay out of academia and do more humanitarian work. Really, I'm just looking for options. Please let me know of any advice/experiences you may know of.

Many young people I know looking to do humanitarian work abroad have served in the Peace Corps. There is also a very strong Peace Corps alumni network that can help with making connections for later employment. My parents met in the Peace Corps, and their experience in Africa was an important formative one for them both.

Interesting, that's an option I hadn't considered. Would there be an opportunity there to do something physics-related?

samnorris93 said:
Interesting, that's an option I hadn't considered. Would there be an opportunity there to do something physics-related?
I had a classmate from undergraduate school (chemistry) who went to Tanzania with the Peace Corps. He taught high school chemistry. It was a challenging job, in that he had to figure out ways of doing things that we normally don't think about -- i.e. building a still to provide pure water. This guy is now working in the chemical industry for one of the big personal care companies. I suspect that his work with the Peace Corps was attractive to his employer.

With a physics background, I suspect that you could teach science/physics or participate in engineering work overseas. I don't think that you would be doing physics research, but you would definitely be able to use your physics background and training.

Some medical physicist friends of mine have done a lot of work to bring radiotherapy equipment into developing countries.

The basic idea is that when a certain piece of technology (linear accelerator, Cobalt irradiator, brachytherapy remote afterloader etc.) becomes outdated in first world countries it is often still usable. Some institutions will opt to donate it to a developing country that otherwise cannot afford it. The issue then is one of installation, commissioning, and training the existing staff in its proper use. In such cases medical physicists can travel overseas and volunteer their time to address these issues (set up the machines, train staff, etc.) This can bring all the benefits of the various radiotherapy treatment modalities (both curative and palliative) to huge populations for whom such treatments are otherwise inaccessible.

See for example:
http://www.radiatinghope.org/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24929155
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24929157

1. What inspired you to combine a career in physics with being a missionary?

I have always had a passion for both science and serving others. I believe that my skills and knowledge in physics can be used to make a positive impact in the world and spread the message of love and compassion through missionary work.

2. How do you balance your time between your career in physics and your missionary work?

It can be challenging at times, but I make sure to prioritize my responsibilities and create a schedule that allows me to fulfill both roles effectively. I also have a supportive team that helps me manage my workload and allows me to take time off for missionary trips.

3. Do you find any conflicts between your scientific beliefs and your religious beliefs?

I believe that science and religion can coexist harmoniously. While my scientific beliefs are based on evidence and empirical data, my religious beliefs are based on faith and personal experiences. I see them as complementary ways of understanding the world and its complexities.

4. How do you use your knowledge in physics for missionary work?

As a physicist, I have a deep understanding of the natural world and how it functions. I use this knowledge to teach and educate others about the wonders of the universe and how it reflects the power and intelligence of a higher being. I also use my problem-solving skills to find innovative solutions to global issues, such as access to clean water and sustainable energy.

5. What advice would you give to someone who wants to combine a career in physics and missionary work?

My advice would be to follow your passions and find ways to integrate them into your life. It may not always be easy, but with determination and a strong support system, it is possible to have a fulfilling career in physics while also making a positive impact through missionary work. Always remember to stay true to your beliefs and use your talents to serve others.