1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining Mathematica Surface's of Revolution

1. May 1, 2009 #1

gulfcoastfella

Gold Member

Hi,

I've been plotting potentials and electric fields inside and outside shells; when I create 2 separate RevolutionPlot3D plots for the potentials (1) inside the shell and (2) outside the shell, I'd like to combine them into one plot. I tried using the Show function, but Mathematica doesn't appear to like that route. Any ideas about how to combine the plots?

I've attached the 2 separate Mathematica plots as they exist at the moment.

On a separate note, is there a way to plot using RevolutionPlot3D with a piecewise function? This would bypass the above problem and skip straight to the solution.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

gulfcoastfella

Gold Member

I've put the two different functions into a piecewise function, and then revolved a plot from that. The results are great... I just wish I knew why the plot doesn't show at r=1. (See attached)

Attached Files:

• pw.png
      pw.png
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  4. May 3, 2009 #3

gulfcoastfella

Gold Member

I figured out that the range of Show defaults to that of the first plot, which would leave out most of the second plot in my case. So I used the option PlotRange->All and that fixed everything up...

pic of corrected curve is attached.

This has been a great monologue! Thanks for listening.

Chris

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook