Combustion when there's left over fuel, what happens to it?

In summary, the primary product of burning a hydrocarbon without enough oxygen is CO instead of CO2. When there is not enough oxygen to make CO, the fuel dissociates into CO2, water, and oxides of nitrogen.
BobbyBear
hi, I'm wondering what happens when you burn a liquid fuel in a combustion chamber, eg. suppose you've got octane (C8H18) and you're using air as the comburent, but the equivalence ratio is less than one, so that not all the octane can get used up... Does the 'left over' octane come out of the chamber as liquid..? - suppose the temperature in the chamber is around 2000K . . . well no, I guess it wouldn't be liquid at that temperature assuming the pressure is the atmospheric pressure :P . . . so would it just evaporate into gaseous octane and form part of the flue gases? That is, assuming no dissociation occurs . . . um, could the gaseous octane dissociate too?

Thank you :p

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the world of emissions. Incomplete combustion is always a balancing act with combustion temps and other forms that exist in the exhaust stream. I'm not a chemist so I can't talk to the dissociation, but I would imagine that it is going to dissociate like any other hydrocarbon into water, CO2 and oxides of nitrogen.

Welcome to the world of emissions.
Haha lol well I'm really just passing by.. :P But I'm happy with your answer, it seems logical :)
Fanku so xD

FredGarvin said:
Welcome to the world of emissions. Incomplete combustion is always a balancing act with combustion temps and other forms that exist in the exhaust stream. I'm not a chemist so I can't talk to the dissociation, but I would imagine that it is going to dissociate like any other hydrocarbon into water, CO2 and oxides of nitrogen.
Put another way: there is generally no such thing as "left over fuel" unless you are waaaay off the equivalence ratio. The fuel is disasociated and combined with whatever is available to make new compounds.

You did miss the primary product of burning a hydrocarbon without enough oxygen, though: CO instead of CO2. What happens when you don't even have enough oxygen to make CO? Well...I'm not a chemist either...

My last thermo book came with a dos-based combustion products calculator we played with a little in class. I let someone at work borrow it and I'm not sure if the cd is still in it (I'll check next week). Perhaps there are combustion product calculators available online, but a quick google only turns up one that doesn't work.

You did miss the primary product of burning a hydrocarbon without enough oxygen, though: CO instead of CO2.
Oooooooooh Russ, I'd not even been thinking of that! :P

-Nods- so let's take for example, the stoichiometric combustion of C8H18, and for simplicity I'm considering the air to be composed of 21%O2, 78%N2 and 1%Ar :

C8H18 (l) + 12.5 O2 + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) Ar ----> 8CO2 + 9H2O + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) ArNow let's say, instead of that we have a 20% excess of fuel, so that firstly I'd write:
1.2 C8H18 (l) + 12.5 O2 + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) Ar ----> 8CO2 + 9H2O + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) Ar + 0.2 C8H18(g)

And then I was thinking, but wait, the fuel is not going to just sit there without recombining itself with someone . . . so I was thinking on the lines of, it dissociates and we'd have something like:

1.2 C8H18 (l) + 12.5 O2 + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) Ar ----> a CO2 + b H2O + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + c H2 + d CO + e OH + 12.5 (1/21) Arbut of course, the formation of CO, OH and H2O will not only come from the 'leftover' fuel (-bites tongue and promises not to say 'leftover fuel' again- :P) but from the incomplete oxidation of the carbon, and possibly even the disassociation of the other compounds, so that we'd really have a kind of soup of compounds in the exhaust stream:1.2 C8H18 (l) + 12.5 O2 + 12.5 (78/21) N2 + 12.5 (1/21) Ar ----> a CO2 + b H2O + cN2 + d H2 + e CO + f OH + g H + h O + i NO + j N + 12.5 (1/21) Ar

I'd even not dare to remove the atomic and molecular oxygen from the soup even though there's a shortage of oxygen . . .

To determine the molar relations, I'd apply the four equations stating the conservation of the elements (I've already used the one that applies to Argon), and then derive the remainder of equations needed by considering the values of dissociation constants of some of the compounds involved at the temperature of the furnace (assuming a state of equilibrium exists) . . . would that be the correctest way of determining what species really exist in the exhaust gases? Not that I'm needing to do this, I was just wondering what happens to the . . . um, superfluous (:P) fuel injected into the combustion chamber - usually one is used to hearing how much excess air is used, not fuel, so I'd never thought about this before :POh and about:
My last thermo book came with a dos-based combustion products calculator we played with a little in class. I let someone at work borrow it and I'm not sure if the cd is still in it (I'll check next week).
you are very kind :)

BobbyBear said:
but of course, the formation of CO, OH and H2O will not only come from the 'leftover' fuel (-bites tongue and promises not to say 'leftover fuel' again- :P) but from the incomplete oxidation of the carbon, and possibly even the disassociation of the other compounds, so that we'd really have a kind of soup of compounds in the exhaust stream:
You are too young to remember carbuerators with the manual choke knob on the dashboard, and starting the car with an over-rich fuel mixture, and getting black smoke out the tailpipe.

You are too young to remember carbuerators with the manual choke knob on the dashboard, and starting the car with an over-rich fuel mixture, and getting black smoke out the tailpipe.
-rolling on the floor laughing- I'm not that young!:P At least I've seen in movies:P
So that's just suspended droplets of liquid fuel, or vapourized fuel, actually coming out of the exhaust? hmm.
I was thinking more along the lines of power plants, but yeah, I see.

Oh and -quotes himself- "but of course, the formation of CO, OH and H2O will not only come from the 'leftover' fuel" . . um, that was meant to read CO, OH and H2, btw :P I never manage to fully avoid typos :(

Black smoke contains Buckyballs and all kinds of strange stuff doesn't it? So the hydrogen would be more likely to oxidize, leaving an excess of carbon..

1. What is left over fuel in the context of combustion?

Left over fuel in combustion refers to any fuel that remains unburned or partially burned after the combustion process is complete.

2. Why is there sometimes left over fuel in combustion?

Left over fuel can occur due to a variety of factors, including inadequate mixing of air and fuel, insufficient oxygen supply, or improper fuel-to-air ratio.

3. What happens to the left over fuel in combustion?

The exact fate of left over fuel in combustion depends on the type of fuel and the conditions of the combustion process. In general, it can either continue to burn at a slower rate or be released as unburned or partially burned gases into the atmosphere.

4. Can left over fuel in combustion be harmful to the environment?

Incomplete combustion, which can result in left over fuel, can release harmful pollutants into the environment, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. These pollutants can contribute to air pollution and have negative impacts on human health and the environment.

5. How can we minimize left over fuel in combustion?

To minimize left over fuel in combustion, it is important to ensure proper mixing of air and fuel, adequate oxygen supply, and a proper fuel-to-air ratio. Regular maintenance and tuning of combustion equipment can also help to reduce left over fuel and improve overall efficiency.