Comments on mathematics for physicists:dover

• Thread starter pardesi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, "Comments on mathematics for physicists:dover" is a comprehensive book aimed at physicists and physics students who want to deepen their understanding of the mathematical foundations of their field. It differs from other textbooks by emphasizing the use of modern mathematical tools and covering a wide range of topics. While a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary, the book is written in a clear and accessible manner. It is also up-to-date with current research and provides references for further reading.
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen this book, but I agree with the Amazon reviewer who suggested Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron and Fuller.

I am familiar with the importance of mathematics in the field of physics. It is the language that allows us to describe and understand the laws and principles of the physical world. Therefore, I can confidently say that the book "Mathematics for Physicists" by Dover is a valuable resource for anyone studying or working in physics.

This book covers a wide range of mathematical topics that are essential for physicists, such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts to real-world problems. This is especially important for physicists, as they often encounter complex and abstract mathematical concepts in their research.

Furthermore, the book is written in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to both beginners and advanced readers. The inclusion of historical context and applications of the mathematical concepts in physics also adds depth to the material.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for physicists, as well as anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations of physics. It is a valuable reference that will undoubtedly enhance one's understanding and proficiency in the field.

1. What is "Comments on mathematics for physicists:dover"?

"Comments on mathematics for physicists:dover" is a book written by physicist Michael D. Green and mathematician John H. Schwarz, which provides a comprehensive overview of the mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The book is primarily aimed at physicists and physics students who wish to deepen their understanding of the mathematical foundations of their field. However, it can also be a useful resource for mathematicians interested in the applications of their subject to physics.

3. How does this book differ from other textbooks on mathematical methods for physicists?

One key difference is that this book places a strong emphasis on the use of modern mathematical tools, such as differential forms and sheaf theory, in physics. It also covers a wide range of topics, from basic calculus and linear algebra to more advanced topics like differential geometry and Lie groups.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary, the book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical background. However, some of the more advanced topics may require additional study for a complete understanding.

5. Is this book up-to-date with current research in physics and mathematics?

Yes, the book was first published in 1987 and has been updated several times since then to incorporate new developments in both fields. The authors also provide references to more recent literature for readers who wish to delve deeper into specific topics.