Up to date astrophysics and astronomy books for physicists

AndreasC
Gold Member
With all the recent debates about CDM vs MOND etc, I decided I need some more background on astrophysics and phenomenology. I have the physics background, I prefer concise books even if they are harder.

I was considering something like this for phenomenology: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691025657/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And the series by Padmanabhan on Theoretical Astrophysics (particularly volumes 1 and 3) and maybe something like this would be fun: https://www.cambridge.org/gr/univer...hematica-support?format=HB&isbn=9781107010741

Some people are saying the first book is a bit out of date. It's also loooong, I would probably prefer something more like a "quick overview". What is your opinion/recommendation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frabjous said:
Right, but this is cosmology. I have found a book on cosmology I like (Relativistic Cosmology by Ellis, Martens and MacCallum). I was looking for something more on the astronomy/astrophysics of galaxies and star systems side. But that's a cool suggestion.

1. What are some recommended books for learning about astrophysics and astronomy for physicists?

Some recommended books for learning about astrophysics and astronomy for physicists include "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie, "An Introduction to Astrophysics" by Pankaj Jain, and "Astrophysics for Physicists" by Arnab Rai Choudhuri.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards advanced topics in astrophysics and astronomy for physicists?

Yes, there are books specifically geared towards advanced topics in astrophysics and astronomy for physicists. Some examples include "Astrophysics in a Nutshell" by Dan Maoz and "The Physics of Astrophysics: Volume I Radiation" by Frank H. Shu.

3. Are there any books that cover both astrophysics and astronomy for physicists?

Yes, there are books that cover both astrophysics and astronomy for physicists. Some examples include "Astrophysics: An Introduction" by Malcolm S. Longair and "An Introduction to Astronomy and Astrophysics" by Pankaj Jain.

4. Are there any books that focus on the latest developments and discoveries in astrophysics and astronomy?

Yes, there are books that focus on the latest developments and discoveries in astrophysics and astronomy. Some examples include "The New Cosmos: Answering Astronomy's Big Questions" by David J. Eicher and "The New Astronomy: Opening the Electromagnetic Window and Expanding Our View of Planet Earth" by George Rieke.

5. Are there any online resources or databases for finding up-to-date astrophysics and astronomy books for physicists?

Yes, there are online resources and databases for finding up-to-date astrophysics and astronomy books for physicists. Some examples include the Astrophysics Data System (ADS) and the American Astronomical Society's online book catalog. Additionally, many publishers and bookstores have online catalogs and websites that allow for searching and filtering by publication date and subject matter.