What Are Some Unique or Lesser-Known Books on Mathematics and Physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whyevengothere
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 5K views
whyevengothere
Messages
53
Reaction score
3
I would to know if anyone knows any books in mathematics or physics at any level :
-Which treat their subject in an unusual maybe even original ways?
-Treat topics rarely touched upon in standard ones?
-Any book that's not very known but which you regard as useful ?
-Whether this book is viewed badly or not doesn't matter.
P.S you can also specify in what's it's unusual.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In which topic (e.g. math, physics etc) and which level?
 
Anything math or physics book for any audience but from which even someone who knows the subject can benefit from.
 
Last edited:
whyevengothere said:
I would to know if anyone knows any books in mathematics or physics at any level :
-Which treat their subject in an unusual maybe even original ways?
-Treat topics rarely touched upon in standard ones?
-Any book that's not very known but which you regard as useful ?
-Whether this book is viewed badly or not doesn't matter.

hard to say
maybe some could be, for starters:

Visual Complex Analysis

Feynman Lecture on Physics

Srednicki Quantum Field Theory

Zwiebach A First Course In String Theory

Feyman&Hibbs QM and Path Intergrals

Zee Einstein Gravity In A Nutshell
 
whyevengothere said:
Anything math or physics book for any audience.

HMm wow for any audience really opens things up.
I'll quickly add a few more then (there are lots more):

Feynman QED
Zee Fearful Symmetry
Penrose The Road To Reality
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Flatland is a classic and I think it is certainly unusual with its mix of science fiction, mathematics and victorian mores. A short and fun read, I think its staple of any math or science enthusiast.
 
Daverz said:
Two books by William L. Burke: Applied Differential Geometry and Spacetime, Geometry, Cosmology.



Chalmers William Sherwin, Basic Concepts of Physics

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006AX0TM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

B. K. Ridley, Time, Space and Things

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521484863/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Marvin Chester, Primer of Quantum Mechanics

Rucker, Geometry, Relativity and the Fourth Dimension

Mattuck, A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem
Since Sherwin's book is old ,is there a free e-copy online?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A few of my favorites (in no particular order):

Nye, "Natural focusing and the fine structure of light"
Lighthill, "Mathematical Biofluiddynamics"
Truesdell, "The tragicomical history of thermodynamics 1822-1854"
Nicholls and Ferguson "Bioenergetics 3"
Winfree "The geometry of biological time"
Slattery "Interfacial transport phenomena"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
whyevengothere said:
Since Sherwin's book is old ,is there a free e-copy online?

I haven't seen one.

If I'm reading https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm right, if someone hasn't renewed the copyright, it's in the public domain. Otherwise, we have to wait another 42 years.

I was able to get a nice, cheap used copy from Amazon.
 
This is one book that looks original to me: Proofs from The Book. The MAA review linked on wikipedia's page can give you some hints on what makes this book special: http://www.maa.org/publications/maa-reviews/proofs-from-the-book-0

Another book (at layman level) that gave me the impression of being out of the ordinary is "The Book of Numbers" by Conway and Guy.

As for physics, this is one I am trying to find the time to read: "Physics for the Inquiring Mind" by Eric M. Rogers. Here's a Wikipedia biography of the author, in case you'd like to Archive it.

And then there's Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" (and its sequel on black holes which I have not read but looks as original as well). Pretty original expositions of special (and general) relativity concepts.

EDIT: Oh, yes, l almost forgot: "Street Fighting Math" from the OCW course with the same name.
I always wear my Ninja outfit when reading this one.
 
Last edited:
Galitski V., Karnakov B., Kogan V. Exploring Quantum Mechanics A Collection of 700+ Solved Problems for Students, Lecturers, and Researchers-Oxford University Press (2013)
 
The Geometry of Special Relativity and The Refrigerator and the Universe