Commercially available flywheels

• Thread starter jamesson
  • Start date
Do the flywheels used in automobile transmissions have input torque suitable for the equivalent of a bicycle pedal? If not, how troublesome is it to assemble a gearbox to create sufficient torque? Also, is there some mechanism I can use to dynamically (eletronically) adjust input torque? Are there any other commercially available flywheels I can look at?

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Are there any other commercially available flywheels I can look at?
To do what? It is hard to answer your question without the context of knowing what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to add a flywheel to your bicycle?

russ_watters
Mentor
Do you want to add a flywheel to your bicycle?
....or replace the flywheel of a stationary bike? I bet you could cannibalize an old stationary bike for cheap.
Also, is there some mechanism I can use to dynamically (eletronically) adjust input torque?
Input torque from what? A motor can have a speed/torque controller, often just by adjusting the voltage. A stationary bike typically uses either a mechanical brake or the equivalent of a generator (electromagnetic resistance).

Yeah, you guys are right. It was silly of me to expect a good answer without explaining my plan. I'm looking into a combination pedal-powered generator/trainer that I could put a "normal" bike into without disassembling it.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I suggest that you first examine pictures of commercial stands that do the same. See how they are designed. I just looked at several pictures on Google images and none of them use a flywheel. Search for something like:

Indoor Bike Trainer Portable Exercise Bicycle Magnetic Stand