Common derived units of the physical quantities

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about defining common derived units of physical quantities and expressing them in terms of base units. The first question includes various physical quantities such as force, velocity, acceleration, energy, density, pressure, power, momentum, and speed. The second question involves calculating the amount of time required for an electromagnetic signal to reach the control base on Earth, as well as determining the distance a car will come to a halt when decelerating at a constant rate. The conversation also includes an example of using the formula v^2=u^2+2as to calculate the speed at which a car would hit a tree if the brakes were applied one second later.
nasadall
Hi all!

I came across 2 questions on my course work, and i don't know what is required here, can some one help please?

Q.1 Define the common derived units of the following physical quantities; and express them in terms of the base units: Mass, Length, Time and Electric charge (or Electric current);

Force, Velocity, Acceleration, Energy, Density, Pressure, Power, Momentum, Speed

Q.2 Define the common derived units of the following physical quantities:

P = mv - P = Kg.L/T

EK = ½ mv2 - EK = ½.Kg.(m/s)2
Ep = mgh - Ep = Kg.m/s2.m/s.s

v2 = u2 + 2as. - (m/s)2 = (m/s)2+2.m/s2.m/s.s

S = ut + ½ at2 - m/s.s = m/s.s.s+½.m/s2.s2

P = w/t - P = Kg.m/s2.s

F = ma - F = Kg.m/s2

t = t’/√(1 – (v2/c2)) no idea

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's called "dimensional analysis"...I just saw a thread here that made it very clear why E should equal MC^2 because of the units used to measure energy...

Have a look at my little cheat sheet in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=424058&highlight=power

I think that they want you to reduce the various usual physical measurements to their basic MKS components -- strangely (and conveniently) enough there are only a few actual "irreducible" quantities, like mass. For instance:
Force -- Newton -- Mass times Acceleration ( F = MA ) -- Killograms times Meters per Sec^2: (Kg x M) / S^2

I still need some help with this, if someone could help me please.
I'm desperate now.

Thank you

hi nasadall! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Start with p = mv …

what are the units for m? what are the units for v?

now multiply them toegther :smile:

Mass and speed

yes, and what are the units of mass and speed? :smile:

M-Kg
V-L/T

am i on the right path?
i have done some on top. i think that is what is required.

nasadall said:
M-Kg
V-L/T

yes, the units for m are Kg

and the units for L/T are … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes, the units for m are Kg

and the units for L/T are … ? :smile:

meters and seconds

ok i get it, so i have to put every thing in units?

yes! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes! :smile:

On Q1 do i only have to put like for example

Force - F=M.L/T2

?

nasadall said:
On Q1 do i only have to put like for example

Force - F=M.L/T2

?

hmm …

looking again at Q1, i find it rather confusing …

it does seem to indicate that M L T etc are the base units, so that ML/T for example would be a derived unit

but that's not the way i understand derived units …

i'd say you have to use kg m s etc …

and wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_derived_unit" ) points out that the SI system has officially designated derived units such as the joule for energy: but there is no such named derived unit for eg momentum (mv) as in Q2 (though there is a "Compound unit derived from SI units") :confused:

sooo … i really don't know what the question wants :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a major issue, i will ask some one at college tomorrow. lol

Q2.1
a) Using the information provided in the appendix, calculate the amount of time required for an electromagnetic signal sent by the astronauts landed on the surface of the Moon to reach the control base on Earth.

Appendix:
Distance of Moon from the control base: 4.0x107 km;
Speed of electromagnetic radiation in free space (& atmosphere) = 3.0x 108 m/s

I used this formula t=s/v

where t=4.0x1010(to achieve meters)/3.0x 108

and i get an answer of 133.333

am i ok??

nasadall said:
I used this formula t=s/v

where t=4.0x1010(to achieve meters)/3.0x 108

and i get an answer of 133.333

am i ok??

Yup! (except ridiculously accurate :rolleyes:)

Thanks.

This next one is a bit confusing, not so much the first part, its the second, i think i got it wright, i just don't know how to put it on peper to present it to the tutor.

b) A car is being driven along a straight and level road at a steady speed of
25 ms-1 when the driver suddenly notices that there is a fallen tree blocking the
road 65 metres ahead. The driver immediately applies the brakes giving the car
a constant retardation of 5 ms-2.

i) How far in front of the tree does the car come to a halt?

u=25 m/s v=0 m/s a=-5 m/s2 s=?

so using v2=u2+2as

my result was

02=252+2(-5)s
0=625+(-10)s
10s=-0-625
s=-625/-10
s=62.5

then i take away the 62.5 meters treveled while deccelerating, from the 65 meters from where the tree was spoted.

65-62.5 = 2.5 meters that the car came to a halt in front of the tree.

ii) If the driver had not reacted immediately and the brakes were applied one second later, with what speed would the car have hit the tree?

u=25 m/s a=-5 m/s2 s=65 m - (1 sec reaction time = 25 m/s) = 40 m? v=?

same formula

v2=252+(-5)40
v2=625+(-10)40
v2=625+(-400)
v2=225
v=√225
v=15

The car hit the tree with a velocity of 15 m/s

uhh? that's completely different :confused:

start a new thread! :smile:

(and I'm going to bed :zzz:)

What are common derived units of physical quantities?

Common derived units of physical quantities are units that are created by combining base units to represent physical quantities that cannot be measured directly. These units are used in scientific calculations and are essential in understanding various physical phenomena.

What is the formula for calculating derived units?

The formula for calculating derived units is to identify the base units involved in the physical quantity and then use mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, or exponentiation to combine them. For example, the derived unit for speed is meters per second (m/s), which is calculated by dividing the distance in meters by the time in seconds.

Why are derived units important in science?

Derived units are important in science because they allow us to measure and quantify many physical phenomena that cannot be measured directly. They also provide a standard system of measurement that is consistent and can be used by scientists all over the world.

What are some examples of common derived units?

Some examples of common derived units include velocity (m/s), acceleration (m/s^2), force (kg * m/s^2), energy (kg * m^2/s^2), and pressure (kg/m * s^2). These units are derived from the base units of length, mass, and time.

How can derived units be converted to other units?

Derived units can be converted to other units by using conversion factors. These factors are derived from the relationships between different units and can be used to convert from one unit to another. For example, to convert from meters per second (m/s) to kilometers per hour (km/h), we can use the conversion factor of 3.6 (1 km = 1000 m, 1 hour = 3600 seconds).