1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Communicating Equations via E-Mail

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    In communicating with others via e-mail, it is quite difficult to render equations in ASCII text, particularly something like a complicated PDE. When the need arises to exchange involved equations with others, and to discuss those equations, what is a good way to accomplish that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is quite an annoying problem. What I normally do is either attach a pdf with the equations on or, if it's a simple equation, just write in tex.

4. Apr 6, 2007 #3
    Yes, that is more or less the way I do it, too. However, it involves publishing, and that form makes it difficult for respondents to re-edit the work.

The way I send and reply to such e-mails is to draft my response by hand, then scan the handwritten pages and attach them as a PDF. I still seek a more elegant way.

5. Apr 6, 2007 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

You could use Latex to compile the equation into an image and then insert it into the email.

6. Apr 6, 2007 #5
    I am aware of Teχ and LaTeχ but not have kept up with all the available implementations. While a web-based LaTeχ tool is intriguing, I still would rather have a WYSIWYG system resident on my own computer. The only WYSIWYG implementation I know of is Scientific Word from MacKichan Software, but that will not be on Linux until next year.

Are there other LaTeχ WYSIWYG implementations for Windows and/or Linux?

7. Jan 4, 2010 #6

bep

You can also use a program like eqascii or asciiTeX to render your equation in plain ASCII. Both programs are command line and use a LaTeX-like syntax. This way you can simply copy and paste plain ASCII formatted equations.

8. Jan 4, 2010 #7
    Thanks for the update.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?