Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How will people know you're dead?

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm, an interesting new problem created by bill pay.

Used to be, if you failed to pay your rent, your landlord would come to your house/apartment to complain and she'd probably notice you were dead.

But now, my bills are electronic and go out automatically and I have direct deposit. Work would eventually notice I hadn't been into work for quite a while and stop paying me, but I have some income that would continue to come in via direct deposit even if I quit working. That additional income is less than my monthly expenses, even accounting for the fact that my grocery bill would suddenly be much lower, but it would definitely slow the draining of my bank account, so it would be quite a while before my rent stopped being paid.

I think people that live alone need a way to ensure they're found before their dogs get hungry.

Something like:

Wear a redundant number of heath monitors that periodically notify a server via a wireless connection that you are alive.
    When a health signal fails to be received by the server, the deadman's switch will be activated:

Temporarily Hosts an "I'm Dead or Missing" webpage (D.o.M.)
    E-mail notifications are sent to relevant individuals.
    Instead of an "xxxx is out of the office" reply, your e-mail will send out a "xxxx is dead" reply
    Script that writes a post on various forums, linking to D.o.M. Page

And, finally, a wipe command will be sent to your computer 24 hours after the cease of health signals

And, it has to be reliable. If it's wiping my hard drive once a week, I'm going to get very irate.

(I totally stole this idea from another forum, by the way, but it actually would be a good idea.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

LOL. I read recently about a guy that had never been hired by a compnay, but got on their payroll system in error, he cashed paychecks equal to a quarter million dollars annually for years before someone noticed he never actually worked there (this was because he filed for extra benefits).

Anyway, I think a death monitor that would send signals that you were dead would be a good idea. As long as you had no loved ones. Of course, there have been a number of recent articles of loved ones hiding the mumified deceased in order to continue collecting disabilty payments.

Ain't life great?

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have loved ones. I talk to them on Facebook or e-mail them.

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

Evo

Oh no.

6. Aug 20, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

When I can't sign my SS disability checks, they will know that I'm dead. My nieces, nephews, and grand-kids will know when I stop sending gifts. I'd like to think that I have a larger impact when I am dead though that is doubtful.

7. Aug 20, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure if I'm dead or missing, but it seems that I will be out of the office indefinitely.

Please leave a message anyway. You probably won't notice the difference.

8. Aug 20, 2010 #7
    Why would someone care if you are dead when you are lonely? I don't know if I want to die lonely; days before the death are more of concern than after.

9. Aug 20, 2010 #8

Evo

I have 2 people that say they will miss me if I die.

10. Aug 20, 2010 #9
    I figure if I'm wearing a tux and riding around in a Cadillac while all my friends come to see me and I can lie down and relax while everyone else does all the work, then I'm probably dead.

11. Aug 20, 2010 #10
    :rofl:

my wife likely won't notice. when she does she'll run the "mummified" scam til my work does. then she'll cash the jackpot life insurance and be living on the Riviera. I won't mind, I'll be trippin.

12. Aug 20, 2010 #11
    I'd say you have at least 100k times that ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  13. Aug 21, 2010 #12
  14. Aug 21, 2010 #13
    Most larger companies now have life insurance (dead peasant) policies on their current and former employees. They use a government provided service to know when it is time to collect on former employees.

http://www.ntis.gov/products/ssa-quarterly.aspx [Broken]

I doubt if they go out and check on your welfare when the quarterly disc reports you as being deceased.:eek:

I seem to remember about a woman who was declared dead by SS. She had a hell of a time getting her checks started again.

Personally my children are faithful about stopping by to check on my wallet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Aug 21, 2010 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being needed is usually a good thing.

I babysit my grandson once a week, so I actually wouldn't go more than a week without being missed. Plus, my work would probably miss me if they remembered which location I was working at (I tend to split my time between two different locations, so they might not notice as soon as one would think).

Still, it's just one of the things that you wonder about when the last kid is out of the house and you're finally living alone for the first time in decades.

16. Aug 21, 2010 #15

Evo

We hadn't heard from a co-corker for a couple of days (we worked our of our homes, so not too unusual except that he wasn't answering calls or e-mails). Then when he didn't show up for our group meeting Tuesday our Boss was so angry, we all said if he wasn't dead, he was going to wish he was.

Well, he was, in fact dead. He had fallen down the stairs in his home and broken his neck. They found him Saturday.

17. Aug 21, 2010 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As automated as you can make everything nowadays, I wonder how long a retired person could go undiscovered, though.

Their retirement & social security pay would continue to be put into their account via direct deposit. They can receive their bills electronically, reducing the amount of mail they get. Their bills/rent/mortgage would continue to be paid by bill pay or automatic debit. Once in a while, Jehovah Witnesses would knock on your door, so it would like you were still getting visitors.

Theoretically, a person could go for years as an electronic zombie.

18. Aug 21, 2010 #17

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with Greg. There are a lot more than two who will miss you.

The title made me think of the ongoing scandal in Japan.

Grisly find in search for Japanese centenarians
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100820/wl_asia_afp/japanelderlymissingfraud [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Aug 21, 2010 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Classic. Open mouth, insert foot. :rolleyes:

20. Aug 21, 2010 #19
    I would have thought the smell would give it away.

21. Aug 22, 2010 #20

turbo

Gold Member

When nobody tills and plants my garden, I am dead. When nobody splits and stacks firewood, I am dead. When nobody prunes the fruit trees, I am dead. I think the neighbors will know the signs, though my wife would let the nicer neighbors know, anyway. I used to think that when I no longer owned a Harley cruiser, I'd be dead, so maybe I'm part dead already.

I sold off the last Harley because one of my riding buddies built a huge house and is trying to finish it off himself, another bought a rough fixer-upper and is always too busy, and the other got liver cancer and is really dead. No point in riding alone - it's not all that fun.

22. Aug 22, 2010 #21

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ha ha! My mom asks me the same question when she calls me once every 6 months or so to remind me I haven't cashed a check she sent as a Christmas or birthday present (she's the only one who doesn't do direct deposit :redface:).

About the only one who would be immediately impacted if I dropped dead would be my cat. She'd probably notice the missing meals pretty quickly. Work would notice I was missing if it was during the regular semester when I was scheduled to lecture, but doesn't notice if I'm there or not if I'm not lecturing or scheduled to attend meetings (I often work from home those days).

My boyfriend would notice and worry too, but he'd probably leave two days of messages first, asking if I was okay and wanting to know what I was doing that I wasn't answering the phone.

In the summer, the neighbors would probably notice the lawn wasn't being mowed after a few weeks. In the winter, the postal carrier flags mailboxes if the mail isn't collected and the driveway not shoveled of snow for a few days after snow storms (as I learned when I decided to escape the state between snow storms last winter and didn't expect to be gone long enough to worry about having someone else collect the mail)...I don't know how long they leave the blinky light on the mailbox before they send someone to check the house for dead people, but I was highly irritated by it since it was a big beacon for burglars too.

Am I worried about it? No. If I'm already dead, I don't care when they find me. I'm more concerned about someone finding me if I'm somehow incapacitated but not dead yet.

23. Aug 22, 2010 #22

turbo

Gold Member

My father helps a neighbor who has a wife with MS. I'd know very quickly if he was dead because they are in frequent contact. If my wife died, and I was left alone, the first sign that I had died too would be that Duke is not getting his frequent walks up and down the road.

Actually, my niece is the rural mail-carrier in this area, so she'd probably break in to check on me if the mail didn't get collected for a couple of days and my vehicles were here.

24. Aug 22, 2010 #23
    My boss would probably call up my house to complain that I'm dead. Every job I get seems to have that impossible to please person in charge.

25. Aug 23, 2010 #24
    I like the OP's automated system idea. I live alone, but a couple of people would notice that I wasn't around fairly quickly. And I've made sure that a couple of people have keys to my place in case of emergency. I've deliberately set up stuff in case something goes awry and so that my cat doesn't have to eat my eyes so she doesn't starve.

I do, however, know more than one person who, if the dropped dead in their home tomorrow, no one would realise anything was amiss for a quite a while.

26. Aug 23, 2010 #25
    I think a lot of people would be happy :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook