Community College College Calulus 1&2 vs. AP CALC BC

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of taking AP CALC BC or the college credit plus program; CALC I&II as a sophomore, as well as the importance of having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. The decision also depends on the individual's goals, whether it be for learning, college credit, or placement. It is advised to research and consider the quality of the classes and professors at both the high school and community college level before making a decision.
McWonald
As a sophomore, I am deciding whether to jump into AP CALC BC or the college credit plus program; CALC I&II. Now this summer, I am taking honors pre-CALC at the same community college so I hope I will be prepared. Should I take the AP class because it looks good on an application or community college courses?!? (Also wondering if the new AP seminar and research are worth the degree)

Physics news on Phys.org
McWonald said:
As a sophomore, I am deciding whether to jump into AP CALC BC or the college credit plus program; CALC I&II. Now this summer, I am taking honors pre-CALC at the same community college so I hope I will be prepared. Should I take the AP class because it looks good on an application or community college courses?!? (Also wondering if the new AP seminar and research are worth the degree)
More algebra, and at least one Trigonometry course, first. "AP" might or might not mean "Advanced Placement" where you are. I would say, do whichever course is more thorough, AS LONG AS your prerequisite knowledge is strong enough.

McWonald said:
Should I take the AP class because it looks good on an application or community college courses?
If you take the AP class, you'll have to take the AP test to get college credit. If you take the CC course, it should transfer. (Or is there something weird about the college credit plus program, whatever that is?)

vela said:
If you take the AP class, you'll have to take the AP test to get college credit.

And some colleges don't give credit for AP courses, or so I've heard.

McWonald said:

You don't make it clear what you're after. If you want to learn calculus well, neither will do the job alone. You'll have to do a bunch of study on your own to supplement what they teach you. Both the AP curriculum and community colleges tend to teach lots of technique and little theory, pretty much no proofs, so for a math major they aren't much good.

If you want college credit or placement (different things), it depends where you figure you'll go for your undergraduate degree. If it's a place like MIT or Caltech they'll just laugh at your CC class and tell you to take their real calculus class. Same for the AP class/test. However the AP class, if you get a 5 on the AP test, there is often a formal mechanism for getting placement or credit at many colleges. Check their web sites. For placement, many have tests you can take.

If you want your fellow students to be good, then a high school AP class often has better students than a CC class. That will be important for the level the class is taught at.

And, of course, your own situation may be different. Some CCs have better classes, or particularly good professors. Some high schools have awesome teachers who can help you go as far as you're willing to go. Research your local situation to see.

Check that the CC classes transfer, and then take them if they do.

IGU said:
You don't make it clear what you're after. If you want to learn calculus well, neither will do the job alone. You'll have to do a bunch of study on your own to supplement what they teach you. Both the AP curriculum and community colleges tend to teach lots of technique and little theory, pretty much no proofs, so for a math major they aren't much good.

If you want college credit or placement (different things), it depends where you figure you'll go for your undergraduate degree. If it's a place like MIT or Caltech they'll just laugh at your CC class and tell you to take their real calculus class. Same for the AP class/test. However the AP class, if you get a 5 on the AP test, there is often a formal mechanism for getting placement or credit at many colleges. Check their web sites. For placement, many have tests you can take.

If you want your fellow students to be good, then a high school AP class often has better students than a CC class. That will be important for the level the class is taught at.

And, of course, your own situation may be different. Some CCs have better classes, or particularly good professors. Some high schools have awesome teachers who can help you go as far as you're willing to go. Research your local situation to see.

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

1. What is the difference between Community College Calculus 1&2 and AP CALC BC?

Community College Calculus 1&2 is a series of two separate courses that cover the basics of Calculus, while AP CALC BC is a single course that covers the same material at a more advanced level. Community College Calculus 1&2 may be more suitable for students who have not taken Calculus before, while AP CALC BC is designed for students who have a strong foundation in Calculus and are looking for a more challenging course.

2. Which option is better for preparing for a university-level Calculus course?

Both options can adequately prepare a student for a university-level Calculus course. However, AP CALC BC is often more rigorous and covers more material than Community College Calculus 1&2, so it may be a better choice for students who are looking for a more challenging and in-depth preparation.

3. Are there any differences in the curriculum between the two options?

While the overall content covered in both options is similar, AP CALC BC may cover some advanced topics that are not included in Community College Calculus 1&2. AP CALC BC also has a more intense pace and may require students to complete more assignments and exams.

4. Which option is more cost-effective?

In general, Community College Calculus 1&2 tends to be more cost-effective than AP CALC BC. However, this may vary depending on the specific community college and high school offering the AP course. It is best to research the tuition costs for both options at your specific school.

5. Will either option give me college credit?

Both options can potentially give you college credit. If you pass the AP CALC BC exam with a score of 3 or higher, most universities will award you college credit. Some universities may also accept credits from Community College Calculus 1&2, but it is best to check with the specific university you plan to attend.