AP Physics Exams: College Apps & Self-Studying Tips

In summary, the speaker is a rising senior in high school and is just starting their college applications. They took 6 AP exams in their junior year and received high scores on all of them except for a 4 on physics 1. They believe this may be because they didn't study enough for that exam. They are wondering if they should still send the 4 on physics 1 to colleges or just send the higher score on physics C. They also mention taking physics 2 and self studying for the C: E&M exams this year. They ask for advice on whether or not colleges require all transcripts to be sent.
Jay Deepak
Hey guys.
I'm currently a rising senior just starting my college applications. My junior year I took 6 AP exams: Calc BC (5&5), Physics C: Mechanics (5), English Langauge (5), US History (5), Physics 1 (4), and Biology (4). I only took 5 classes, however, all except c mechanics. Using my calc skills, the knowledge from physics 1, and a little self studying, I took the c mech exam. That being said, I'm not sure how I got a 4 on physics 1 but a 5 on c mech, as I believed c mech is harder (though the curve is a lot less demanding). I assume it was because I blew off physics 1 and didn't study much for it and just wasn't prepared the day of the exam. Since I got a 5 on mechanics, though, is it worth sending the 4 on physics 1 to colleges, or is it okay if I just send physics c?
Also, in case you were wondering, I will also be taking physics 2 this year and self studying for the C: E&M exams (my school doesn't offer the physics c classes, lol).
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's different where you are but I don't think you have a choice in the matter. Don't most universities require all transcripts?

Choppy said:
Maybe it's different where you are but I don't think you have a choice in the matter. Don't most universities require all transcripts?
No you're allowed to choose what scores to send. Most colleges let you self report.

1. What is the format of the AP Physics exam?

The AP Physics exam is a multiple-choice and free-response test that is divided into two sections: Section I includes 50 multiple-choice questions and Section II includes 5 free-response questions. The exam is 3 hours long and covers a range of topics in both mechanics and electricity and magnetism.

2. How can I prepare for the AP Physics exam?

Some tips for preparing for the AP Physics exam include studying and reviewing key concepts and equations, practicing with past exams and sample questions, and seeking help from teachers or tutors if needed. Additionally, utilizing resources such as review books and online study guides can also be helpful.

3. Can I self-study for the AP Physics exam?

Yes, self-studying for the AP Physics exam is possible, but it requires a lot of dedication and discipline. It is important to set a study schedule, cover all the necessary topics, and regularly practice with past exams and sample questions. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. How do AP Physics exam scores impact college applications?

AP Physics exam scores can potentially impact college applications in a few ways. High scores can demonstrate a strong understanding and preparation for college-level coursework, which can be beneficial for admissions into competitive programs. Additionally, earning college credit through AP exams can also save time and money in college.

5. What are some general tips for success on the AP Physics exam?

Some general tips for success on the AP Physics exam include reading and understanding each question carefully, showing all work and using proper units, managing time effectively, and staying calm and focused during the exam. It is also important to review and practice regularly leading up to the exam and seek help if needed.