AP Chem vs Honors Physics: Choosing the Right Course for College Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between taking AP chemistry or honors physics as a junior, with the ultimate goal of taking AP physics. The speaker suggests considering future goals and the quality and transferability of college courses as alternatives to AP courses. They also mention the possibility of taking both AP chemistry and honors physics in junior year and AP physics in senior year. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the individual's specific goals and circumstances.
McWonald
As a Junior, I have the option to take AP chem and honors physics. I want to take AP chem very badly but I can't take AP physics without doing honors physics first.
I Ultimately want to take AP physics but AP chem seems looks great on a college application.

What class should I take?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone can make that decision for you even if the choices you have were clearly defined to us.

To me, it is not clear why you can't take all three eventually.

Also, you don't state your future goal. Why you think AP chem looks good on a college application? Wouldn't AP physics 'look better' if your ultimate goal is to study physics? But maybe you want to study chemistry? Or biology?

In the end, it won't really matter. This doesn't sound like some crossroad decision in your life.

I don't understand. Why not take honors physics and AP chem your junior year, then AP physics your senior year?

I've started to favor college physics and chemistry courses at a local college through dual enrollment programs over AP versions in the high schools. The quality is usually higher, and earning a good grade in the course guarantees real college credit without a single high stakes event at the end of the year. With due care in advance checking, one can also ensure the credit earned will transfer to the 4 year school you plan to attend; whereas, more institutions are getting restrictive about whether they award credit for AP scores and how high those scores need to be.

If scheduling and transportation are a challenge, many colleges now offer quality chemistry, physics, and calculus courses to dual-enrollment students on-line. In some states, they are also free.

1. Should I take AP chem?

It depends on your academic interests and goals. AP chem is a rigorous course that covers college-level material and can potentially earn you college credit. If you are interested in pursuing a career in science or engineering, taking AP chem can be beneficial. However, if you struggle with chemistry or do not plan on pursuing a science-related field, it may not be the best choice for you.

2. What are the benefits of taking AP chem?

Taking AP chem can help you develop critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of chemistry concepts. It can also demonstrate to colleges that you are capable of handling advanced coursework and may potentially earn you college credit, saving you time and money in the long run.

3. How difficult is AP chem compared to regular chemistry classes?

AP chem is significantly more challenging than regular chemistry classes. It covers a broader range of topics and requires a deeper understanding of complex concepts. It also involves more independent work and self-study. However, if you have a strong foundation in regular chemistry classes and are willing to put in the effort, you can be successful in AP chem.

4. Will taking AP chem help me get into college?

Taking AP chem can demonstrate to colleges that you are willing to challenge yourself and have a strong interest in science. However, it is not the only factor that colleges consider in the admissions process. Your overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal essays are also important factors.

5. What can I do to prepare for AP chem?

To prepare for AP chem, you can review basic chemistry concepts and lab techniques, read ahead in your textbook, and practice solving problems. You can also talk to your current chemistry teacher for advice and resources. Additionally, make sure to manage your time effectively and stay organized to keep up with the rigorous coursework of AP chem.