AP Chem vs Honors Physics: Choosing the Right Course for College Applications

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
McWonald
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
As a Junior, I have the option to take AP chem and honors physics. I want to take AP chem very badly but I can't take AP physics without doing honors physics first.
I Ultimately want to take AP physics but AP chem seems looks great on a college application.

What class should I take?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone can make that decision for you even if the choices you have were clearly defined to us.

To me, it is not clear why you can't take all three eventually.

Also, you don't state your future goal. Why you think AP chem looks good on a college application? Wouldn't AP physics 'look better' if your ultimate goal is to study physics? But maybe you want to study chemistry? Or biology?

In the end, it won't really matter. This doesn't sound like some crossroad decision in your life.
 
I don't understand. Why not take honors physics and AP chem your junior year, then AP physics your senior year?
 
I've started to favor college physics and chemistry courses at a local college through dual enrollment programs over AP versions in the high schools. The quality is usually higher, and earning a good grade in the course guarantees real college credit without a single high stakes event at the end of the year. With due care in advance checking, one can also ensure the credit earned will transfer to the 4 year school you plan to attend; whereas, more institutions are getting restrictive about whether they award credit for AP scores and how high those scores need to be.

If scheduling and transportation are a challenge, many colleges now offer quality chemistry, physics, and calculus courses to dual-enrollment students on-line. In some states, they are also free.