Commutator, operators momentum and position

In summary, the homework statement asks for the position and momentum operators to commute, but they do not.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must calculate [X,P].

Homework Equations

Not sure. What I've researched through the Internet suggests that [tex][\hat A, \hat B]=\hat A \hat B - \hat B \hat A[/tex] and that [tex][\hat A, \hat B]=-[\hat B, \hat A][/tex].
Furthermore if the operators commute, then [tex][\hat A, \hat B]=0[/tex] obviously from the anterior property.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've checked out in wikipedia the definition of position and momentum operators and they seems to involve the wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex]?

If I consider [tex]\hat X =x[/tex] and [tex]\hat P =-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex], I get that [tex]\hat X\hat P =-i \hbar[/tex] but for [tex]\hat P \hat X[/tex] I have a doubt.
I get that it's worth [tex]x \left ( - \frac{i \hbar \partial}{\partial x} \right )[/tex]. I'm guessing it's worth [tex]-i\hbar[/tex]? So that if follows that [tex][\hat X,\hat P]=0[/tex] and hence the position and linear momentum commute. I'm not sure I'm right on this, nor do I have any idea about some of the implications the commutativity implies.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To avoid confusion, compute this commutator acting on an arbitrary wavefunction:

[tex][\hat{X},\hat{P}]\Psi.[/tex]

As a differential operator, [tex]\hat{P}[/tex] acts on everything to the right, so the term

[tex] \hat{P}\hat{X} \Psi = \hat{P}(\hat{X} \Psi), [/tex]

so you need to use the product rule.

fzero said:
To avoid confusion, compute this commutator acting on an arbitrary wavefunction:

[tex][\hat{X},\hat{P}]\Psi.[/tex]

As a differential operator, [tex]\hat{P}[/tex] acts on everything to the right, so the term

[tex] \hat{P}\hat{X} \Psi = \hat{P}(\hat{X} \Psi), [/tex]

so you need to use the product rule.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I've asked on this forum, I would have done meaningless work without you.
I reach, after some basic alegebra: [tex][\hat X, \hat P] \Psi =i \hbar \Psi[/tex]. So the 2 operators do not commute.
Am I right?

fluidistic said:
Thank you so much. I'm so glad I've asked on this forum, I would have done meaningless work without you.
I reach, after some basic alegebra: [tex][\hat X, \hat P] \Psi =i \hbar \Psi[/tex]. So the 2 operators do not commute.
Am I right?

Correct. Also, since the function [tex]\Psi[/tex] is arbitrary, you can turn this into an operator statement:

[tex][\hat X, \hat P] =i \hbar \hat{I},[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{I}[/tex] is the identity operator.

fzero said:
Correct. Also, since the function [tex]\Psi[/tex] is arbitrary, you can turn this into an operator statement:

[tex][\hat X, \hat P] =i \hbar \hat{I},[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{I}[/tex] is the identity operator.

Nice. Problem solved.

1. What is a commutator in quantum mechanics?

A commutator is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to determine the order in which operators act on a wavefunction. It is represented by the symbol [A, B] and is equal to AB-BA, where A and B are operators.

2. How do commutators relate to uncertainty principles?

Commutators play a central role in Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. This is because the commutator of the position and momentum operators is equal to the reduced Planck's constant, h-bar.

3. What is the significance of momentum and position operators in quantum mechanics?

Momentum and position operators are fundamental quantities in quantum mechanics that represent the observable properties of a particle. They are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems and are essential for calculating the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement.

4. How are momentum and position operators related?

Momentum and position operators are related through the commutator [p,x] = iħ, where p is the momentum operator, x is the position operator, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. This relationship shows that the measurement of one quantity will necessarily affect the precision of the other, as described by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

5. Can momentum and position operators be simultaneously measured?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the measurement of momentum and position cannot be known simultaneously with arbitrary precision. This is because the two operators do not commute, meaning their values cannot be simultaneously measured without affecting each other.