Commutators of angular momentum, linear momentum squared and H

In summary: P}}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}[\hat{\mathbf{L}},x]##.Also, ##\hat{H}## is given by ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V##, so the commutator is ##[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{H}]=[\hat{\mathbf{L}},-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V]=[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{\mathbf{P}}^2]+[\hat{\mathbf{L}},V]##In summary, we use
Mark_L

Homework Statement

For the linear momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{p}}## and angular momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{L}} ##, prove that ##\begin{eqnarray}
[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]&=&0\end{eqnarray}##:

[Hint: Write ##\hat{\mathbf{L}}## as the ##x##-component of the angular momentum operator and evaluate ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi##.
The results for the other components will follow by symmetry.]

Hence show that if the potential is given by ##V(|\mathbf{x}|)##, then ##[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{H}] = 0##:

Homework Equations

##\begin{eqnarray}\hat{\mathbf{P}}&=&-i\hbar\nabla\\
\hat{L}_x&=&y\hat{p}_{z}-z\hat{p}_{y}\\
\hat{H}&=&-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V\\
\end{eqnarray}##

The Attempt at a Solution

After some algebra just using ##[A,B]=AB-BA## and substituting the equations above,

##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3y\frac{\partial d}{\partial z}(\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})-i\hbar^3z\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})+i\hbar^3\nabla^2(z\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-i\hbar^3\nabla^2(y\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})##

and doing all the derivatives eventually gave ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3[\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial y}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial z}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}]##

But this isn't zero so I'm definitely stuck! I checked all my working and it's definitely all correct so I'm thinking there is a different (hopefully less algebraically intensive) method.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark_L said:

Homework Statement

For the linear momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{p}}## and angular momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{L}} ##, prove that ##\begin{eqnarray}
[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]&=&0\end{eqnarray}##:

[Hint: Write ##\hat{\mathbf{L}}## as the ##x##-component of the angular momentum operator and evaluate ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi##.
The results for the other components will follow by symmetry.]

Hence show that if the potential is given by ##V(|\mathbf{x}|)##, then ##[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{H}] = 0##:

Homework Equations

##\begin{eqnarray}\hat{\mathbf{P}}&=&-i\hbar\nabla\\
\hat{L}_x&=&y\hat{p}_{z}-z\hat{p}_{y}\\
\hat{H}&=&-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V\\
\end{eqnarray}##

The Attempt at a Solution

After some algebra just using ##[A,B]=AB-BA## and substituting the equations above,

##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3y\frac{\partial d}{\partial z}(\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})-i\hbar^3z\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})+i\hbar^3\nabla^2(z\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-i\hbar^3\nabla^2(y\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})##

and doing all the derivatives eventually gave ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3[\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial y}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial z}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}]##

But this isn't zero so I'm definitely stuck! I checked all my working and it's definitely all correct so I'm thinking there is a different (hopefully less algebraically intensive) method.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Yes, it is zero. Things like ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## are zero. Same for all of your second derivatives of coordinates. Only things like ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}## aren't zero and that's equal to 1. Aren't they? I think you've been carrying around a lot of terms you could have dropped.

Dick said:
Yes, it is zero. Things like ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## are zero. Same for all of your second derivatives of coordinates. Only things like ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}## aren't zero and that's equal to 1. Aren't they? I think you've been carrying around a lot of terms you could have dropped.

Why are they zero?

Mark_L said:
Why are they zero?

Because it's the partial derivative of y taken with respect to x. In taking a partial derivative with respect to x you hold y and z fixed. So it's the derivative of a constant. I'd look back at the definition of partial derivative.

Okay, so what about the next part?

We have ##\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\hat{\mathbf{P^2}}+V##

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operator that represents the non-commutativity (or lack of commutativity) of two other operators. In other words, it shows how the order in which the two operators are applied affects the outcome.

2. What is the commutator of angular momentum and linear momentum squared?

The commutator of angular momentum and linear momentum squared is equal to iħ times the angular momentum operator, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. This shows that the two operators do not commute, meaning that the order in which they are applied affects the result.

3. What is the commutator of linear momentum squared and H?

The commutator of linear momentum squared and H is equal to 0, meaning that the two operators commute. This indicates that the order in which they are applied does not affect the result.

4. How do commutators relate to quantum mechanics?

Commutators play an important role in quantum mechanics as they describe the uncertainty principle, which states that certain pairs of physical quantities (such as position and momentum) cannot be known simultaneously with complete precision. The commutator of two operators represents the uncertainty in their measurements.

5. Can commutators be used to calculate physical quantities?

Yes, commutators can be used to calculate expectation values of physical quantities in quantum mechanics. For example, the commutator of position and momentum operators is equal to iħ, which can be used to derive the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.