1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutators of angular momentum, linear momentum squared and H

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the linear momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{p}}## and angular momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{L}} ##, prove that ##\begin{eqnarray}
    [\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]&=&0\end{eqnarray}##:

[Hint: Write ##\hat{\mathbf{L}}## as the ##x##-component of the angular momentum operator and evaluate ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi##.
    The results for the other components will follow by symmetry.]

Hence show that if the potential is given by ##V(|\mathbf{x}|)##, then ##[\hat{\mathbf{L}},\hat{H}] = 0##:

2. Relevant equations

##\begin{eqnarray}\hat{\mathbf{P}}&=&-i\hbar\nabla\\
    \hat{L}_x&=&y\hat{p}_{z}-z\hat{p}_{y}\\
    \hat{H}&=&-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+V\\
    \end{eqnarray}##

3. The attempt at a solution

After some algebra just using ##[A,B]=AB-BA## and substituting the equations above,

##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3y\frac{\partial d}{\partial z}(\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})-i\hbar^3z\nabla^2(\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})+i\hbar^3\nabla^2(z\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y})-i\hbar^3\nabla^2(y\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z})##

and doing all the derivatives eventually gave ##[\hat{L}_{x},\hat{\mathbf{p}}^2]\psi=i\hbar^3[\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial y}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial y^2}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial z}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x\partial z}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}-2\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial z^2}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}]##

But this isn't zero so I'm definitely stuck!! I checked all my working and it's definitely all correct so I'm thinking there is a different (hopefully less algebraically intensive) method.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is zero. Things like ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}## are zero. Same for all of your second derivatives of coordinates. Only things like ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial x}## aren't zero and that's equal to 1. Aren't they? I think you've been carrying around a lot of terms you could have dropped.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    Why are they zero?

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because it's the partial derivative of y taken with respect to x. In taking a partial derivative with respect to x you hold y and z fixed. So it's the derivative of a constant. I'd look back at the definition of partial derivative.

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    Okay, so what about the next part?

We have ##\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\hat{\mathbf{P^2}}+V##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted