1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact form for an infinite multiplication

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    In the middle of the article about Franciscus Vieta, here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciscus_Vieta

I see an infinite product as an expression for Pi:
    2 * 2/2^(1/2) * 2/(2+(2^(1/2))^(1/2) * ...

I was wondering, how this could be written in compact form using math notation please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you can write [itex]\displaystyle 2\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+ \sqrt{2}}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}}\times\frac{2}{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2}}}}}\times\cdots[/itex] in compact form.

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3
    Indeed, I don't think any specific notation can help simplify this ... er ... "continued fraction."

I would define the recursive sequence [itex]S_n[/itex] such that:

[itex]
    S_0 = 1\\
    S_1 = \sqrt2\\
    S_{k+1} = \sqrt{2+S_k}\text{ where } k>0\\
    [/itex]

and use that sequence and capital pi notation to shorten the equation for [itex]\pi[/itex] into the infinite product:

[itex]
    \pi=\prod \limits_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{2}{S_i}
    [/itex]

But then again, this seems more convoluted than compact.

5. Jun 17, 2012 #4
    Thank you all, I learned from your answers that the other way of expressing that is by using a recursive expression combined together with Pi (∏) notation and that there is no unique tool in math-notation for a compact form in this case.

6. Jun 17, 2012 #5
    I don't know if you want this particular formula for pi or any infinite product will do.

If another is acceptable Google Wallis product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook