Finding the period (T) of a pendulum on Mars

In summary: However, the pendulum on Mars will swing much slower due to the weaker gravity. The correct answer is 3.26 seconds.In summary, the clock on Mars will run slower than on Earth.
asilvester635
1. Homework Statement
The first astronauts to visit Mars are each allowed to take along some personal items to remind them of home. One astronaut takes along a grandfather clock, which, on earth, has a pendulum that takes 1 second per swing, each swing corresponding to one tick of the clock. When the clock is set up on Mars, will it run fast or slow?

It shows you that the clock on Mars will have a slower period on Mars (T = 2.45 sec.) than on Earth (T = 1 sec.). There's a section called "My Work Version #1", where I tried to solve the problem. The formula is pretty basic. Plug in acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the length of the string (1 m). With that approach I got T = 3.26.

On the section called "My Work Version #2", I pretty much set T Earth and T Mars and tried to solve for T mars. At the end the value that I got under the square root is 0.166/1, but the answer key that they had is 1/0.166.

So the bottom line is, I have no idea how they got the value of 0.166 how they solved for the period, T, of Mars.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi(sqrt(L/g))

The Attempt at a Solution

To view the image, please click on the link and click download. Thanks.
https://myhpu-my.sharepoint.com/:i:...BGv3IJUrIPZ4EBcg9-xeH1d4WYptA04lKCKA?e=dA4YzU

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of your links work for me. They produce error messages.

haruspex said:
Neither of your links work for me. They produce error messages.
Hey, I fixed it. It should let you to be able to download the image. I would post the image to the website but the image comes out to be low quality. It's better to download it. Thanks.

Their answer is wrong because they confused Mars with the moon. Our moon's surface gravity is one sixth of Earth's.

You answer is wrong because you plugged in "1" for L. The clock's pendulum length is not 1 m. It is the right length for timing one second on Earth, whatever that is.

What is the formula for finding the period of a pendulum on Mars?

The formula for finding the period (T) of a pendulum on Mars is T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity on Mars.

How does the length of the pendulum affect its period on Mars?

The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be on Mars. This is because a longer pendulum will have a greater distance to travel, resulting in a longer time for each swing.

Is the acceleration due to gravity the same on Mars as it is on Earth?

No, the acceleration due to gravity on Mars is about 3.71 m/s², which is approximately one-third of the value on Earth. This is due to the difference in mass and radius between the two planets.

Does the mass of the pendulum affect its period on Mars?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its period on Mars. The formula for finding the period of a pendulum is independent of the mass of the pendulum.

How does the period of a pendulum on Mars compare to that on Earth?

The period of a pendulum on Mars will be longer than that on Earth due to the lower acceleration due to gravity. However, the difference may not be significant depending on the length of the pendulum and the precision of the measurements.