Compare travel times for two paths (one longer but lower than the other)

In summary: No, it is even a much more general result. As long as the lower path keeps going in the positive x direction and energy is conserved it will be faster. At least, I have seen a neat proof of that for the case where A and B are on the same level.But in the present case I think the student is only expected to apply the standard SUVAT equations.
Aleoa
Homework Statement
Consider a trough of a semicircular cross-section, and an inclined plane in it that leads from a point A to a point B lying lower than A. Prove that wherever point C is chosen on the arc AB, an object will always get from A to B faster along the slopes ACB than along the original slope AB. The change of direction at C does not involve a change in speed. The effects of friction are negligible.
Relevant Equations
(There are no relevant equations)
I'm really sorry, but i don't understand how to solve this problem. Can you give me some help ?

This is the picture of the problem:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-04 14:49:33.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-04 14:49:33.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Screenshot 2019-05-05 14:46:32.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-05 14:46:32.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
The question does not make it clear, but I would assume this is supposed to be under energy conservation.
Does that help, or had you already assumed that?

Aleoa said:
I'm really sorry, but i don't understand how to solve this problem. Can you give me some help ?
Energy conservation ensures that the change in speed from A to B will be the same regardless of whether the object goes along the incline from A to B directly or from A to C and then back up from C to B.

You are asked to show that the time required to go directly from A to B along a single incline is always longer than the combined time along two inclines that meet at an arbitrary point C on the trough. One can compare the two times by separately calculating ##t_{AB}## and ##t_{ACB}=t_{AC}+t_{CB}## using the standard kinematic equations (they are truly relevant here) under constant acceleration for each inclined plane segment.

kuruman said:
Energy conservation ensures that the change in speed from A to B will be the same regardless of whether the object goes along the incline from A to B directly or from A to C and then back up from C to B.

You are asked to show that the time required to go directly from A to B along a single incline is always longer than the combined time along two inclines that meet at an arbitrary point C on the trough. One can compare the two times by separately calculating ##t_{AB}## and ##t_{ACB}=t_{AC}+t_{CB}## using the standard kinematic equations (they are truly relevant here) under constant acceleration for each inclined plane segment.

Yes, however, I don't understand what is the property of the triangle inscribed in a semicircle that allows me to prove that ##t_{AB} < t_{ACB}##

Aleoa said:
Yes, however, I don't understand what is the property of the triangle inscribed in a semicircle that allows me to prove that ##t_{AB} < t_{ACB}##
My guess (without having proved it) is that the sum of the arcs ##AC + CB## is less than a semicircle. I am guessing that the inequality will not hold for something like the configuration shown below. If that is the case, then there must be an intermediate configuration for which the two times are equal. Maybe if ##AB## is a diameter? I have to think about this.

CircleChords.png

kuruman said:
am guessing that the inequality will not hold for something like the configuration shown below
No, it is even a much more general result. As long as the lower path keeps going in the positive x direction and energy is conserved it will be faster. At least, I have seen a neat proof of that for the case where A and B are on the same level.
But in the present case I think the student is only expected to apply the standard SUVAT equations.

What is the purpose of comparing travel times for two paths?

The purpose of comparing travel times for two paths is to determine which route is more efficient in terms of time. This can help individuals make informed decisions about their travel plans and potentially save time in their journey.

How do you calculate travel times for each path?

Travel times for each path can be calculated by measuring the distance of the routes and dividing it by the speed of travel. This will give an estimated time for each path, but it is important to keep in mind that factors such as traffic, weather, and mode of transportation can also affect travel times.

What if one path has a lower distance but a slower mode of transportation?

In this case, it is important to consider the overall efficiency of the route. While the shorter distance may seem more appealing, if the mode of transportation is significantly slower, it may end up taking longer to travel. It is important to weigh all factors when comparing travel times for two paths.

Are there any other factors to consider besides distance and mode of transportation?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact travel times such as traffic, road conditions, and the number of stops along the route. It is important to take these factors into account when comparing travel times for two paths.

Can comparing travel times for two paths be useful for other purposes?

Yes, comparing travel times for two paths can also be useful for city planning and transportation management. It can help identify areas that experience high levels of traffic and aid in the development of more efficient transportation routes.