Which Path is Quickest? Investigating Ball Bearings on an Inclined Tube

In summary: The ball bearings will exit the tube at the same time if the distance between them at the exit corner is the same.
Jackie Ma
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
I don't know what's a homework statement.
Relevant Equations
Equations of motion.
I've found an interesting problem in an undergrad physics book which I've bought, and my high school teacher to whom I've showed it said it was intriguing, and didn't know the answer.

A tube in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners is placed in a vertical plane, and inclined towards the left. You introduce two ball bearings at the upper-right corner. One travels by one path; the shortest side of the rectangle, and then the longest, and the other by the other path; the longest side of the rectangle, and then the shortest. Which will arrive first at the lower left-hand corner?

Since it's a question, there is no answer in the book.
I think the ball that goes first by the shortest path (on the right) will arrive first. I've also done literal calculations for the time on both paths, with x and y as the paths, and theta and beta as the angles, but I got 2 expressions, with which it is difficult to estimate which one actually gives the shortest time, but it seemed to me that it was what I had deduced previously. I can't be sure, though.

But I think that the ball going to the right will arrive first.
Is it the good answer?

*I typed the problem because I had thought that that was what was asked on this forum, but here's the problem.

[Mentor Note -- See post #5 for an improved version of this image]

Attachments

• 20220909_181020.jpg
    20220909_181020.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow the setup. Can you clarify?
Jackie Ma said:
placed in a vertical plane, and inclined towards the left
What does this look like?I assume this refers to the tube's cross-section:
Jackie Ma said:
A tube in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners
[UPDATE] Nope. My assumption was wrong.

Last edited:
Likes Jackie Ma
DaveC426913 said:
I don't follow the setup. Can you clarify?
Agreed, I'm not following the setup either.

@Jackie Ma -- Can you upload a (good quality) diagram of the problem? You can use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG image of the problem. Thanks.

Likes Jackie Ma
There is now a sideways attachment. Shortest path is not the issue here because both paths are equal in length. Here is a hint: How does the speed of the two ball bearings compare at the exit corner? This will give you a clue as to which will exit in the shortest time if you also think about acceleration during each leg of the trip.

BTW, the homework statement is the full question that your are supposed to anwer including figures and diagrams.

A tube in the shape of a rectangle with rounded corners is placed in a vertical plane, and inclined towards the left. You introduce two ball bearings at the upper-right corner. One travels by one path; the shortest side of the rectangle, and then the longest, and the other by the other path; the longest side of the rectangle, and then the shortest. Which will arrive first at the lower left-hand corner?

Likes DaveE and berkeman
kuruman said:
There is now a sideways attachment.
Blagg. I downloaded, rotated and enhanced the image:

sideways 04 paths.jpg

Likes SammyS, DaveC426913 and kuruman
It depends on the angle of inclination. However, taking the angle in the image, yes, the right path (CD) will be the faster.

Likes berkeman
To see this intuitively, consider the cases where the rectangle is rotated very close to 0o or 90o. Are the velocities the same at the turn? How long did it take to get there and then how will the velocity change for the last side?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes haruspex and DaveC426913
DaveE said:
To see this initiatively, consider the cases where the rectangle is rotated very close to 0o
Yeah, that does it for me.

Likes DaveE
DaveE said:
To see this initiatively, consider the cases where the rectangle is rotated very close to 0o or 90o. Are the velocities the same at the turn? How long did it take to get there and then how will the velocity change for the last side?
Also, at 45° inclination the two times are equal regardless of the ratio of lengths. That's because the accelerations are the same all around so this is a constant acceleration situation over equal lengths.

Likes DaveE
DaveE said:
To see this initiatively, consider the cases where the rectangle is rotated very close to 0o or 90o. Are the velocities the same at the turn? How long did it take to get there and then how will the velocity change for the last side?
and in general, early acceleration is more useful than late acceleration.

Likes jbriggs444 and DaveE
This is a great example of the sort of problem that you can quickly get a feel for by examining the extremes and symmetry. For me at least, the answer, although imprecise, is obvious if you take that arbitrary angle and look at the "interesting" limits. In this case 0o, 45o, and 90o. Then you can write the equations for an arbitrary angle and solve it exactly if you need to.

DaveE said:
This is a great example of the sort of problem that you can quickly get a feel for by examining the extremes and symmetry. For me at least, the answer, although imprecise, is obvious if you take that arbitrary angle and look at the "interesting" limits. In this case 0o, 45o, and 90o. Then you can write the equations for an arbitrary angle and solve it exactly if you need to.
``Then you can write the equations for an arbitrary angle and solve it exactly if you need to.``; yes, I did that to verify what I thought was the answer.

``This is a great example of the sort of problem that you can quickly get a feel for by examining the extremes and symmetry.`` I know what symmetry is in physics, but what does it mean in this context, though?

Jackie Ma said:
``Then you can write the equations for an arbitrary angle and solve it exactly if you need to.``; yes, I did that to verify what I thought was the answer.

``This is a great example of the sort of problem that you can quickly get a feel for by examining the extremes and symmetry.`` I know what symmetry is in physics, but what does it mean in this context, though?
In this case, setting the angle to 45°. As noted, that makes it equivalent to a single slope of that angle, no matter whether the short or long side is traversed first.

There is a slight flaw in the question though. It omits to say the tube is smooth, so you should expect the balls to roll. When they hit the corner, the roll is the wrong way, so some KE must be lost. At 45°, less will be lost if the shorter side is taken first.

Likes Lnewqban
Forward vid to the 17:00 mark:

Likes Tom.G, DaveE and TSny

1. What factors affect the speed of a path?

The speed of a path can be affected by various factors such as the distance, terrain, obstacles, mode of transportation, and traffic conditions.

2. How can I determine the fastest path?

The fastest path can be determined by considering the distance, mode of transportation, and traffic conditions. It is also helpful to use navigation tools or apps that provide real-time traffic updates.

3. Is the shortest path always the fastest?

No, the shortest path is not always the fastest. Factors such as traffic conditions and terrain can greatly affect the speed of a path, even if it is the shortest route.

4. How can I save time on my commute?

You can save time on your commute by planning your route in advance, using navigation tools, avoiding rush hour traffic, and choosing the most efficient mode of transportation.

5. Can taking a longer path sometimes be faster?

Yes, taking a longer path can sometimes be faster if it has less traffic or obstacles compared to a shorter route. It is important to consider all factors when determining the fastest path.