Comparing Calculated Models to Real-Life Situations

• Thread starter Dr Max
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Models
In summary: You have yet to provide any evidence that what you are trying to measure is actually something that can be measured.
Dr Max
Hi :)

im wondering if there is a video where a calculated model and the same situation in reality gets compared ? :)
e.g. water drop, or something crashing with a certain speed :)

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Walter Lewis's legendary mit introductory physics lectures contain a few demonstrations which he compares with the calculated value. I don't remember the exact lecture but in one he showed how the mass didn't affect a pendulum. There are others too like a weighing machine in free fall. While the lectures have been taken down from OCW you can find them on YouTube.Link: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdYlQf0_sSsb2tNcA3gtgOt8LGH6tJbr

Also: I don't think this is the correct forum topic you've posted under, although I'm not sure what the correct topic is either. :confused:

This is a nice one:

Dr Max said:
Hi :)

im wondering if there is a video where a calculated model and the same situation in reality gets compared ? :)
e.g. water drop, or something crashing with a certain speed :)

thanks for any help :)

Wait... isn't this what is done routinely in college physics experiments?!

Zz.

First thanks for all replies so far :)

Actually I was looking for calculated water vs real water, something like that. I just want to see how close to reality the best model gets right now. Whats the state of the art ? :)

Dr Max said:
First thanks for all replies so far :)

Actually I was looking for calculated water vs real water, something like that. I just want to see how close to reality the best model gets right now. Whats the state of the art ? :)

You are aware that in this post, you didn't state anything about what property that you want to measure, aren't you? "calculated water vs real water" is a "huh?"-type of statement. What exactly about the properties of water that you are trying to compare?

It usually saves a lot of time and effort on our part if you, from the get-go, be specific and clear, rather than produce a rather vague question and topic about a generic "calculated model".

Zz.

Likes Mastermind01
Okay I am sry, I weren't aware of this problem. I do computer science :)

Basicly I am looking for a experimental setup, let's say a bowl of water Diameter 20 cm, the bowl is filled with exactly 200ml of water, 10 cm above the ground there is a pipet attached, the pipet will release a drop of the same volume everytime used. The moment when the drop hits the water is my point of interest.

And now I am looking for a video, that films this setup and compares it to the same situation but calculated in a computer visualized. How close does the computer model get ? I guess you would need to calculate all properties at once. As in reality properties are not isolated are they? :)

(it could also be a different setup, I am just curious about the quality of todays models)

I hope this specifies :) and we can now understand each other
thank you :)

Dr Max said:
Okay I am sry, I weren't aware of this problem. I do computer science :)

That's no excuse. What if I say "Hey Dr Max, I want you to write a program to be used for water." Would that make any sense to you on what you should do?

I bet not. You'd ask "OK, what do you want the program to actually do?"

That is essentially what you are asking here. But it seems that you are still not being clear, based on this:

Basicly I am looking for a experimental setup, let's say a bowl of water Diameter 20 cm, the bowl is filled with exactly 200ml of water, 10 cm above the ground there is a pipet attached, the pipet will release a drop of the same volume everytime used. The moment when the drop hits the water is my point of interest.

Here's the thing: What exactly are you trying to MEASURE? You've described the scenario, but you've never clearly indicated what actually are you interested in measuring? After all, we are talking about something quantitative, aren't we? You wanted to compare with this "physical reality", but yet, you never once stated what quantity we are trying to measure and compare!

This is what has been very puzzling in this entire thread.

Zz.

@ZapperZ , I think you're being a bit harsh here.

While I agree the actual question needs to be made clearer, I highly suspect this is a question about modeling the physical behavior of water, like so many graphics engine do, and what the difference to real water is.

rumborak said:
@ZapperZ , I think you're being a bit harsh here.

While I agree the actual question needs to be made clearer, I highly suspect this is a question about modeling the physical behavior of water, like so many graphics engine do, and what the difference to real water is.

No, I don't think I'm being harsh. Modeling WHAT behavior of water? It's temperature? It's viscosity? It's volume? It's dynamics when it goes SPLAT? There isn't a single quantity that has been mentioned here that is of interest. You can't simply say "let's model water". This statement is meaningless. You have to list out the physical quantities that you want to model.

Zz.

Likes jbriggs444
ZapperZ said:
No, I don't think I'm being harsh. Modeling WHAT behavior of water? It's temperature? It's viscosity? It's volume? It's dynamics when it goes SPLAT? There isn't a single quantity that has been mentioned here that is of interest. You can't simply say "let's model water". This statement is meaningless. You have to list out the physical quantities that you want to model.

Zz.
You seem to be angry !

wow, i never thought this would be such a touch thing :)

yes its about modelling. Basicly if you want to model corectly, closest to reality, you need to consider all properties at once don't you ? :)

I want to see a video, visual representation, light that hits my eyes reflected by the drop, dropping and splashing.

Dr Max said:
I want to see a video...
I would try a search engine. Or forums related to computer graphics or fluid dynamics software.

Dr Max said:
im wondering if there is a video where a calculated model and the same situation in reality gets compared ?

1. How accurate are calculated models compared to real-life situations?

The accuracy of a calculated model compared to real-life situations depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the system being modeled, the quality of data used to create the model, and the assumptions made during the modeling process. While some models may provide highly accurate predictions, others may have a higher degree of uncertainty.

2. Why is it important to compare calculated models to real-life situations?

Comparing calculated models to real-life situations is essential to validate the accuracy of the model and its ability to predict real-world outcomes. Without this comparison, the model may not be reliable and could lead to incorrect decisions and conclusions.

3. What are some common methods used to compare calculated models to real-life situations?

Some common methods used to compare calculated models to real-life situations include statistical analysis, sensitivity analysis, and validation against experimental data. These methods help to identify any discrepancies between the model and the real-world situation and improve the accuracy of the model.

4. Can calculated models be used as a substitute for real-life situations?

No, calculated models should not be used as a substitute for real-life situations. While they can provide valuable insights and predictions, they are simplifications of complex systems and may not capture all the nuances and variables present in real-life situations.

5. How can the accuracy of a calculated model be improved?

The accuracy of a calculated model can be improved by using high-quality data, validating the model against real-life situations, and incorporating feedback from experts in the field. Additionally, using advanced modeling techniques and continuously updating and refining the model can also improve its accuracy.